Limnopilos freshwater micro crabs

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by grandb3rry, 22 Mar 2010.

1. grandb3rry

grandb3rry Member

I have a few of these guys in my temporary tank. I'm planning on keeping them in my 90litre iwagumi style tank. I heard they are shrimp friendly and good for planted tanks. Did anyone come across them? What are your experiences with them? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

t4fea2dzn.jpg
    ds8cuktpd.jpg

2. mr. luke

mr. luke Member

They arent at all active and will hide a lot, but they are shrimp friendly.
    THey are teratorial so there may be a couple of nips here and there but no deaths.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I believe Gill bought some recently too. He may not be online for a while as I believe he's just moved house.

4. grandb3rry

grandb3rry Member

Yes that is indeed true that they hiding most of the time! I think I still want them in my new high-tech aquarium...can't wait till it is finished :rolleyes: 8)

Kind regards
    Arthur

5. frothhelmet

frothhelmet Member

Here is an interesting video of micro crab zoea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7RZI1YQ ... re=related

Although similar, you can tell they are not daphnia/cyclops when they 'flick' their tails later in the video.

The guy/girl who posted the video said in the comments that this was the, "2nd lot of crab larvae from my Limnopilos naiyanetri that came from USA, I have had larvae from supply recieved from Scotland but they were much smaller and did not live as long."

Although he/she doesn't elaborate further, I think we can presume that the larvae aren't surviving. Could be that they need more plankton (infosuria, etc) in the water column to feed on. Pity, would be great to get this thing to breed successfully without special rearing in normal aquaria...

6. frothhelmet

frothhelmet Member