• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lincsflier Build

lincsflier

Hi all after being on the forum for ages thought it was time to start a Journal lol.

Tank is 8ft x 2ft x 2ft with a 7.5ft horizontal weir.

4 x 54W T5 lighting (2 x Grolux and 2 x Narva). If needed this can be increased to accomodate in pairs another two pairs of lamps.

Circulation is through two home made spray bars which between them circulate 11,500lph.

Sump system is in use and consists of 4 x 80l boxes with 2 x 250w heaters and 30kg of Alfagrog ceramic media.

CO2 system not arrived as yet so still waiting to plumb that in but it will be an Aquamas reactor with a Wave regulator and solenoid setup. Will be running the system using a 7Kg bottle.

Substrate is 100kg of ADA Amazonia I & II.

The sump etc is in an adjoining outhouse so only thing in main room is the tank itself with two drop checkers ready to go in place.

01082009060.jpg

01082009061.jpg

All pipework to the sump is 2" and returns are via 2 x 1" outlets.

The tank as you can see is still a little cloudy due to the Amazonia but is getting there :D. Have Tropica and Aquafluer ranges that I can use to scape the tank so will be starting to buy in from them over the next few weeks when CO2 has arrived and is stable just starting to plan it out on paper at the moment.

Thats it so far but loads of room for a plant or two :lol: .

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all the help and advice so far without which I wouldn't be at the stage I am at now :thumbup: :clap: .

Thanks
Dave

lincsflier said:
Hi all after being on the forum for ages thought it was time to start a Journal lol.

Geez, when you say start a journal, you mean it don't you. :lol: An 8ft tank? Wow! Overachiever, making us 10g people look bad. :lol:

That is a lot of ADA Amazonia. :woot:

No wonder you waited so long to start the journal, you were saving the money for it first. :lol:

I am looking forward to it. Can't wait to see it planted.

llj

You seem to have planned very well Dave, and i like the outhouse with all the mechanics in. Excellent.

The tank looks very clear with the AS, could you not use the remainder for some heavy banking? How deep is the substrate btw?

I was wondering if your outhouse was heated? As your probably aware about loosing heat in the middle of winter from the exposed tanks and pipes, and we all know how expensive electricity is now. Or you could lag the pipes with insulation and get some central heating (feed and expansion) tank jackets for the smaller tanks, and remove these in the summer.

http://www.greenplanetinsulation.co.uk/ ... 5&P_ID=410

By the way, have you decided on a theme with plants, fish and the overall look of the tank?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a monster in the making. :thumbup:

Regards,

Dan.

This is certainly going to be a tank to keep tabs on. Very much looking forward to updates.

Thanks for all the comments:).

All the pipes are lagged with thinsulate and buried about 12inches and lagged when outside. All the tanks have lids so no loss from condensation and the outhouse has background heating to 20 deg.

Have some lagging ready for winter as well tried to get most things sorted but bound to be something i've forgotten at some point lol.

As fo scaping looking at something like this but with less at the ends maybe not sure yet like the idea of a arch in the middle or ridged shelves. The substrate is 2" deep at the front and ranges from 6" at the RH side to 4" at the LH.

Any ideas for scapes etc more than welcome. :thumbup:
1_4.jpg

Cool, looking foreward to this one. I echo Dan's comment. Use as much ADA as you've got to make it as steep front to back as possible. Really adds to the sense of depth when planted, also it will settle with time into a flatter substrate. You can reduce this with retaining rocks which will be hidden by the plants.

Keep up the good work, Tom

Back