liquid carbon to battle BBA

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by baron von bubba, 8 Sep 2009.

1. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

i understand spot dosing excel/easy carbo is the standard way to rid a tank of BBA.

what confuses me slightly tho' is, if the tank in question was a low tech non co2 tank, then surly adding liquid carbon to get rid of the algae, then discontinuing its use, could cause BBA....................... :wideyed:

thoughts please.

2. mattyc

mattyc Member

this might be a stupid thing to say but what about treat the effected area allow to stand/do its job for a bit then do a WC!! :) this should stop the build up of carbon and allow you to remain low tec or just start using a carbon adative to help the tank grow/reduce the posablities of algae.

3. vauxhallmark

vauxhallmark Member

The question is, will fluctuating levels of Gluteraldehyde (or whatever it's called) have the same effect as fluctuating levels of CO2?

Liquid carbon supplements are not CO2, and I don't know the answer to the question I've posed.

Mark

4. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Liquid carbon products are, in effect CO2, or it's more accurate to say that they are converted to CO2 internally, therefore, inconsistent addition to the tank is less than ideal, however, since the product also has algecidal properties the effect is mitigated. Spot dosing is probably the best alternative for a non-CO2 tank while the water level is low. Remove and return the same water, or combine spot dosing with a blackout. That way the instability issue is rendered moot. 8)

Cheers,

5. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

thanks guys.

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

adding liquid CO2 would make it a high tech tank as growth rates would increase too

7. Dolly Sprint 16v

Dolly Sprint 16v Member

Gang@Ukaps

The question to be asking regarding BBA is "how to reduced the possiblility of break out of BBA" rather than what to do once we have BBA - prevention is better than cure.

Regards
    Paul.

8. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

the tank in question is not mine and it has no co2 supplementation but BBA has broken out, so was just wandering if liquid carbon is used specifically to eradicate the BBA how best to do it.