• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

liquid carbon to battle BBA

i understand spot dosing excel/easy carbo is the standard way to rid a tank of BBA.

what confuses me slightly tho' is, if the tank in question was a low tech non co2 tank, then surly adding liquid carbon to get rid of the algae, then discontinuing its use, could cause BBA....................... :wideyed:

thoughts please.

this might be a stupid thing to say but what about treat the effected area allow to stand/do its job for a bit then do a WC!! :) this should stop the build up of carbon and allow you to remain low tec or just start using a carbon adative to help the tank grow/reduce the posablities of algae.

The question is, will fluctuating levels of Gluteraldehyde (or whatever it's called) have the same effect as fluctuating levels of CO2?

Liquid carbon supplements are not CO2, and I don't know the answer to the question I've posed.

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
The question is, will fluctuating levels of Gluteraldehyde (or whatever it's called) have the same effect as fluctuating levels of CO2?

Liquid carbon supplements are not CO2, and I don't know the answer to the question I've posed.

Mark
Liquid carbon products are, in effect CO2, or it's more accurate to say that they are converted to CO2 internally, therefore, inconsistent addition to the tank is less than ideal, however, since the product also has algecidal properties the effect is mitigated. Spot dosing is probably the best alternative for a non-CO2 tank while the water level is low. Remove and return the same water, or combine spot dosing with a blackout. That way the instability issue is rendered moot. 8)

Cheers,

Gang@Ukaps

The question to be asking regarding BBA is "how to reduced the possiblility of break out of BBA" rather than what to do once we have BBA - prevention is better than cure.

Regards
Paul.

aaronnorth said:
adding liquid CO2 would make it a high tech tank as growth rates would increase too

the tank in question is not mine and it has no co2 supplementation but BBA has broken out, so was just wandering if liquid carbon is used specifically to eradicate the BBA how best to do it.

Flyfisherman said:
Gang@Ukaps

The question to be asking regarding BBA is "how to reduced the possiblility of break out of BBA" rather than what to do once we have BBA - prevention is better than cure.

Regards
Paul.[/quote

its likely the issue arose as the guy in question has a low tech tank and does regular water changes with tap water.
however as the algae has already occurred i think i asked the correct question! ;0)

Back