• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liseys Rio 125

Oh phew thanks! I was starting to think everyone thought it was really bad as no-one had replied.

The substrate is Aquaground clay or aquaclay ground. Personally I wouldn't choose it again. The grain size is too big really. Trying to plant hairgrass is a b-i-t-c-h.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Hi Lisa,
I agree with Chrisi. The growing of the plants where the challenge is at this point. You'll probably change your mind 20 times in the next couple of months. The arrangement is nice but that rocks on the right will soon get swallowed so I would have put more prominent rocks in that location. That black tube is also a bit distracting so I'd opt to mount it on the back wall if possible. I'm not a hairgrass person but aren't you supposed to cut it back down to the substrate when planting from emersed? Need to get clarification on that. I'd also probably mount the spraybar on the back glass as well. That ought to help the grass.

Cheers,

The wood was way too big for the tank plus it wouldn't sink AND it started growing mould. In a rio 180 the proportions would be perfect but the wood poked out the top and touched the front of the glass.

Ceg - cheers yeah I realise about the rocks and the arrangements for now. The black tube is the heater, and I will mount it on the back wall, so it will be hidden by the plants.
I did trim the hairgrass but I was too scared to trim it too much, especially as the rootstock was iffy and it wouldn't stay in the substrate.
The spraybar is placed just so the flow goes over the top of the plants at the back round by the inlet (picking up stray CO2 bubbles) and round the front near the bottom. May seem like the hairgrass is getting blown down but I'm hoping when it grows in it will be better and stand up. 10x filter rating does make for a breezy tank. This was the only way I could get it to not blow the substrate around.

That's really nice - very clean and should look very 'dutch' when it's all filed in.

Any chance of a planting plan? My plant id skills are pants! Could you get a close up of the Marsilea? I don't really know that it looks like!

Cheers. You shouldn't have been so coy - you've done a good job.

5 Ltr container of DI is £2.99 in Boyes. This is what I got for doing my 40dKH before diluting from another 1 Ltr DI.

Of course then I used some of the remainder of the 5Ltrs to make my fert solutions when needed rather than store it for the next.........250 years <----Not far off!!!

Andy

Cheers for all the replies guys!

Beeky - Thanks for your compliments :D the Marsilea is like this:-
IMGP2891-1.jpg

This is the emersed growth but the leaves grow differently underwater. I was hoping the 4-leaf clover style of leaves would stay for a little longer. I will get another picture of that clump tomorrow so you can see the difference.

After two days away its crazy! Loads has grown, will get a pic tomorrow for comparison. I was away back in my home town visiting my cousin as she had a baby 5 weeks premature. His name is Charlie btw, and is a tiny 5 lb 14 oz.

Yeah really love the setup. As mentioned, when you get some more growth in there things will look even better. How you finding the substrate, Im using the same stuff in my tank at the moment. I was worried as when I first filled the tank it went really cloudy even after rinsing, but it settles down really well. Only had the plants in for a couple of days so Im yet to notices any improvements.
Again good work with th setup.

Thanks for the replies! Compliments are very kind, don't feel I deserve them just yet :oops:

The wood is soaking atm I'm hoping in the future I'll be able to use it.

So far soo good :) Since we have the same tank it will be interesting to see how it develops.
Also would be nice to see the wood in the scape when its ready, some very nice pieces there.
Keep us updated and good luck :)

The wood is all one piece. Called "swamp wood" according to my LFS.

Yeah it will be interesting especially as the king himself uses a rio 125. I'm sure yours is and will be better than mine 8) If I can get to growing plants and scaping one quarter as good as George I will be a very happy girly!

I made a planting guide.
Plantingguide.jpg

1) Cryptocoryne Undulata (broad leaf)
2) Cryptocoryne wenditii
3) Eleocharis vivipara
4) Eleocharis parvula
5) Bacopa caroliana
6) Bacopa monneri
7) Java moss (probably)
8) Nymphaea Zenkeri lotus to the bottom right, the top left you can see the leaves of a "tiger lotus lilly" from Java.
9) Hygrophila corymbosa siamensis 53B
10) Vallis torta

Not numbered is Limnobium Laevigatium which is floating on the top and Marsilea crenata which is dotted around in the hairgrass.

John Starkey very kindly sent me bags and bags of plants so it will all change. Just waiting for the guy buying my tank to turn up then I'm re-doing it :D Thanks again John!

Lisa_Perry75 said:
I made a planting guide.
Plantingguide.jpg

1) Cryptocoryne Undulata (broad leaf)
2) Cryptocoryne wenditii
3) Eleocharis vivipara
4) Eleocharis parvula
5) Bacopa caroliana
6) Bacopa monneri
7) Java moss (probably)
8) Nymphaea Zenkeri lotus to the bottom right, the top left you can see the leaves of a "tiger lotus lilly" from Java.
9) Hygrophila corymbosa siamensis 53B
10) Vallis torta

Not numbered is Limnobium Laevigatium which is floating on the top and Marsilea crenata which is dotted around in the hairgrass.

John Starkey very kindly sent me bags and bags of plants so it will all change. Just waiting for the guy buying my tank to turn up then I'm re-doing it :D Thanks again John!

Hi Lisa, its looking very nice but now you have all those plants i sent its back to the drawing board :p but the more you plant and plant the better you will become, i am only too happy to help members any way i can, take care john .oh dont foreget pics of the new scape. :)

Thanks everyone!

Steve - thats ok, someone suggested it and it was a good idea. It is handy for plant ids. I don't have fancy art packages, that was knocked up in paint.

John - As always I'm very grateful for your generosity. I've just eaten tea and now I'm heading up the wooden hill to do a 50% waterchange and replant...

Pictures to follow

Ah, well now you have something to live up to!

By the way, I've just been reading up on Marsilea and somewhere it mentioned that the leaves should be cut off as they'll never adapt to life underwater. New leaves will then form. I'm not sure if I'd have the courage to do that to a plant I'd just bought though!!

Back