Little Help Please - Fungus

PM

Hi, I just noticed that one of my fish has some fungus/finrot :(

I have this stuff,
2868767906_afa704b475.jpg

Does anyone know if this is okay with amano shrimp in the tank? It doesn't say...

Thanks

san-ho-zay

According to this ...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=2 ... try2068471

The ingredients are ...

ESHA 2000 (UK) - contains:
6.3 mg Ethacridine lactate, (AKA: Rivanol an antibacterial acridine, sometimes used to treat shigella.)
1 mg Proflavin, an acridine closely related to acriflavin and used for protozoans (velvet), gram positive bacteria, and fungus.
3.2 mg Copper ++ - Used for protozoans (ich and velvet). Note: Effective against parasites, but often toxic to fish, especially in soft water.
0.26 mg Methyl Orange - A multifunctional product.

I don't know exactly what levels of copper are a problem for shrimp but the typical advise is to avoid medications with copper.

If it's only the one fish, could you get it into a hospital tank?

a1Matt

thats frustrating. I guess the only other option is to look for a fungus med that doesn't have copper in it. Maybe ask on one of the shrimp forums.

PM

Well I'm skint so I'll probably just put him in a 10L i have laying around for a few days.

No filter and heater but should be fine i reckon,

thanks again

Ed Seeley

I'd use salt as well as the Melafix. The salt (at around 0.3%) will reduce the osmotic pressure on the fish and reduce stress as well as having an anti-parasite effect. Fungus is a secondary infection meaning your fish has an open wound somewhere ans the salt will help treat this. You could also remove the fish and give it a bath of the anti-fungal treatment, then put it in fresh water to clean the medication off before returning to the tank.