• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Livestock Prices Post Lockdown

jameson_uk

LFS just updated on Facebook to say if Garden Centres were to open they would reopen but to be aware that they have limited livestock (which concerns me a little that they don't have similar levels to when the lockdown started but that is another thread...)

The main bit of interest was that they have already been told by the wholesaler that price are going to rise and possibly significantly given there have been no imports and there are unlikely to be many soon.

Bit annoyed as I was planning on restocking my tanks just when lockdown started :(

Going to be interesting to see just what happens with prices and availability

Yep, at least Niel Hardy who probably supplies most of the bread and butter fish in the UK might increase prices. I (worked) somewhere and we used them, that's what we're expecting.

Been advised that J&K, Hardys, Mermaid etc, will all be increasing prices due to the higher freight charges being applied by the airlines. They know they can increase them and it will be paid,

Time to ditch the franchise stores and find your good old local LFS (even if local means 50 mile or more). Yuo know the ones that have been run by the same person / family for decades. The ones that are part of the local fishy comunity / clubs etc hobbyists turned shop owners.
The type that have a network of local breeders and suppliers to help provide livestock / plants/ harscapre to help them through these troubling times.
I'm lucky for fish up here in yorkshire there are still half a dozen quality stores of this type in a 50 mile radius that i'm aware of . Not so for aquascaping stuff or plants but hey ho you can't have eveything.

Time to ditch the franchise stores and find your good old local LFS (even if local means 50 mile or more). Yuo know the ones that have been run by the same person / family for decadess
My LFS only has a handful (four?) shops across Staffordshire and they seem OK. I tend to get basics from there but do go further a field and have visited most aquatic shops within a 20 mile radius. I haven't actually found one that is that much better that I want to travel to it :(. It isn't great but it isn't so bad and the staff are helpful.
Your in the birmingham area check out TAaquaculture for fish ;) you can actualy visit the store lucky bugger,
www.taaquaculture.uk
It is just round the corner from somewhere I used to live (before I started keeping fish). It is now a good 20 miles away.
Has been on my list to visit for sometime but they don't stock rainbowfish (which is one thing I am after).
Sweet Knowle aquatics is another I really want to visit and I keep being tempted to order some fish online from them but the £25 delivery charge is putting me off a bit...

Reactions: 91
It is just round the corner from somewhere I used to live (before I started keeping fish). It is now a good 20 miles away.
Has been on my list to visit for sometime but they don't stock rainbowfish (which is one thing I am after).
Trust me findd the time you can thank me later. Tim's a awesome fella top notch breeder (for many many years) and used to (maybe stil does) run the local fish auction and now a brick & motar store. If anyone in your area kows how to get hold of the fish you are after he will.

Sweet Knowle aquatics is another I really want to visit
I used to go there regularly before lockdown, from Leicester so it's over an hour's drive but worth it. They normally have a good range of community and nano fish, including unusual species. All healthy and quarantined too.

Time to ditch the franchise stores and find your good old local LFS (even if local means 50 mile or more). Yuo know the ones that have been run by the same person / family for decades. The ones that are part of the local fishy comunity / clubs etc hobbyists turned shop owners.
The type that have a network of local breeders and suppliers to help provide livestock / plants/ harscapre to help them through these troubling times.
I'm lucky for fish up here in yorkshire there are still half a dozen quality stores of this type in a 50 mile radius that i'm aware of . Not so for aquascaping stuff or plants but hey ho you can't have eveything.
my lfs is a family run shop i went there the other day for some cardinal tetra his tanks were nearly empty and he said he is not sure when he can get more stock in as the shipping companys are charging extortionate prices to bring in live stock. he gave me an example a neon tetra currently costs £1.30 but if he were to import some more stock to recoup the shipping costs he would have to sell them at £7.50 each !
Its heartbreaking because if he folds there will be no local fish stores in my area only garden centers maidenheads and P@h !! and i can vouch my lfs stock is 20x better quality fish than any of those store you can see it in the fish colo;urs are brighter and nicer and the fish just look a lot happier in his tanks (what stock was left) i hope he pulls through and can continue to trade after this virus is gone :(

It's inevitable that prices will rise or we may see real difficulties in getting hold of fish but that's understandable and the perfect opportunity to explore some fish breeding yourself. Its hard if you haven't got any fish to begin with but if you have a few tetras or catfish why not give breeding them a go, it's fun, rewarding and you will learn loads.

Hi all,
nd i can vouch my lfs stock is 20x better quality fish than any of those store you can see it in the fish colo;urs are brighter and nicer and the fish just look a lot happier in his tanks
I couldn't agree more. We have a thread <"Good and bad....">.
old of fish but that's understandable and the perfect opportunity to explore some fish breeding yourself.
Everybody should have a go at it. Often fish are spawning in our tanks, but we just don't realize.

cheers Darrel

Oh yes, I know it, about halfway between me in Leicester and you in Nuneaton. I've had some good fish from them, and the owners are very nice. I do hope they can carry on.

Oh yes, I know it, about halfway between me in Leicester and you in Nuneaton. I've had some good fish from them, and the owners are very nice. I do hope they can carry on.
yeah thats the place i allways go there first never had a bad fish from there, and yeah the owners are really nice and helpfull

Hi all, I couldn't agree more. We have a thread <"Good and bad....">.
Everybody should have a go at it. Often fish are spawning in our tanks, but we just don't realize.

cheers Darrel
i once bred some Convict cichlids it was the easyist thing ever all i did was carry the bag home when i arrived they had allready spawned in the bag :eek::eek::D:D

my lfs is a family run shop i went there the other day for some cardinal tetra his tanks were nearly empty and he said he is not sure when he can get more stock in as the shipping companys are charging extortionate prices to bring in live stock. he gave me an example a neon tetra currently costs £1.30 but if he were to import some more stock to recoup the shipping costs he would have to sell them at £7.50 each !

Radical thought but maybe thats the price we should be paying. :eek:
When the fish are the cheapest thing in the aquarium including the food to feed them just maybe we have the thinking wrong and the hobby / markets need to think good and hard about what we are doing and make some changes.
Nobody thinks twice about paying £5 -£20 a plant.

At £7.50 for a cardinal maybe that would make breeding aquarium fish for the hobby a affordable national buisness venture rather than flying fish all around the world.

Back