• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lljdma06's .77wpg, no-CO2, 36g journal. The Crypt Keeper

No, I know about the categories, just some over at low-tech look more like journals to me, so I briefly questioned, but I'm fine here.

Where in Miami, FL are you located? I am very curious, as I am also from Miami, FL.

And thus with much humbleness begins MAPS (Miami Aquatic Plant Society). :lol: Just joking. It's just that there are so few. I was telling Supercoley just today that the salesperson at petsupermarket didn't even know you could have a tank with live plants. I did not tell Supercoley the following because it was too much, but we are among friends here. The rest of the dialogue.

"Then what are you selling those for my dear", said I to the salesperson, as I pointed to the lovely C spiralis...
"The plecos like to eat them." was her answer. :arghh:

I really, really need to get to bed right now.

Love the look of that new Crypt Llj.

Hey, I have gone down to using 2 x T8 over a 240l tank. Can I be a member of your low light gang, or do I have to take one of the tubes out? :lol:

Dave.

SteveUK could tell you which fish do eat Spiralis. Those 3 I posted were apparently consumed :lol:

Maybe larger plecos do eat them but pitbulls didn't. The plants may have stayed in there with a little pruning from the fish :lol:

AC

lljdma06 said:
"The plecos like to eat them."
:wideyed: Sacrilege! Thats nuts, they're such well matured plants.

I'm really loving your tank. In fact I've always admired your tanks since I seen them over on TFF. I think you really do have a style apart from most other. Very inspiring!

I think the Crypt Spiralis will really make this tank. Just a pity I cant get a hold of this with out waiting for plants sent from asia.

Dave

Dave Spencer said:
Love the look of that new Crypt Llj.
Hey, I have gone down to using 2 x T8 over a 240l tank. Can I be a member of your low light gang, or do I have to take one of the tubes out? :lol:

Dave.

Are you sure you want to join the dark side? :twisted: What's the wattage of the tubes? I'm not a UK person, too hard to convert to gallons at 11pm and I don't know your tank dimensions, and I'm too lazy to look. But I will ask this. Where are your tubes and are they well-spaced? :lol:

dsandson said:
lljdma06 said:
"The plecos like to eat them."
:wideyed: Sacrilege! Thats nuts, they're such well matured plants.

I know, right? I wanted to feed her to a pleco and see how she liked it. I promptly rescued the crypts. They are safe with me now.

I'm really loving your tank. In fact I've always admired your tanks since I seen them over on TFF. I think you really do have a style apart from most other. Very inspiring!

Thank you very much. You are too kind. I think the crypts will make the tank too. I hope they reach their full height, that would be pretty sweet.

Moss will look good on the wood, not anubias. I'm thinking weeping moss as it drapes, but fissidens would be interesting as well. There are so many crevices in the mopani. It is moss paradise. I'm not sure if I want complete coverage or just accents. The moss won't happen, though, until I know the crypts are doing well.

llj

Some clearer pictures.

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

There was some crypt melt, but not as bad as I expected and the aponogeton has a flower now. :)

Thanks for looking.

llj

I have to admit, at first I didn't really like this so much but I love it now. It's turning into something nice and I bet you have a great time watching it. Jungles rule! :D

Thanks, I appreciate that you like it.

Yeah, I like it too. I like that I don't have to refill CO2, dose ferts, change 50% of the water, trim stems, the list goes on.

I'm starting to see new growth and the leaves of some C. spiralis are almost at the the water line. :) I cannot wait for all of it to reach the top. That will be pretty cool.

Yes, jungles are very nice and very easy. But I also like structure and order. ;)

Almost a year is long enough for an update, right?

Some updated shots from this scape. Pictures are from May, before I left for Italy. Tank looks the same. After all, it is a low-light tank. A little dirty.

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Re: lljdma06's .77wpg, no-CO2, 36g journal. The Crypt Keepe

Its starting to fill out nicely Llj. I think you should go rescue some more plants though :) Get it crammed full......keeps the fish pinned at the front so you can see them all the time :lol:

Those Spiralis (if they're anything like mine were) will poke out of the tank and more. My tank was/is 40cm fromsubstrate to waterline and the were a good 10cm past the water. Stunning plants but they weren't right for what I was doing then. wish I had them now though. lol

Can I ask a little cheeky question? Please don't take it the wrong way. Is it that you use a 'warm white' lamp or is it the bogwood tannins?

Either way I like the look. It has a kind of warm glow' which is reminiscent of a cosy cottage with a roaring fire going. I bet you also have a nice 'viewing' chair next to the 'warm glow'. I know I would :)

Can't wait to see more of this one. Good to see some more low maintenance scapes around. It's not so lonely as it used to be :)

AC

Re: lljdma06's .77wpg, no-CO2, 36g journal. The Crypt Keepe

SuperColey1 said:
Can I ask a little cheeky question? Please don't take it the wrong way. Is it that you use a 'warm white' lamp or is it the bogwood tannins?

Either way I like the look. It has a kind of warm glow' which is reminiscent of a cosy cottage with a roaring fire going. I bet you also have a nice 'viewing' chair next to the 'warm glow'. I know I would :)

Can't wait to see more of this one. Good to see some more low maintenance scapes around. It's not so lonely as it used to be :)

AC

You may ask all the "cheeky" questions you want. :lol: It is the bogwood tannins. When you only change the water once every 2 months, they accumulate... Imagine the color if I waited as long as you do for waterchanges! You wouldn't see into the tank.

I agree, it needs more plants, more spiralis and other crypts. Need money and have to wait for my first university paycheck. Also want to increase the R. gracilis school. Love that fish. Eventually, I just want cyprinids in this tank, so I'm not replacing anything else that dies. Platies are getting old, so I'm gradually losing them.

When I add the crypts, I'll post some updated pictures. You're not alone... :lol:

llj

Back