• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'lo from Leicester

Mike Edwardes

Hi everyone, I'm Mike Edwardes.
My Grandma bought me my first goldfish over 50 years ago, and that started it all. Over the years I've bred many species of tropicals, dabbled in marines for a little while, and got blown away when The Optimum Aquarium appeared in the 1980s. I've never done a full high tech planted setup, but I've had a lot of tanks over the years.

Right now I have a couple of projects in mind, and I've been inspired by this site over the last few weeks. I fancy a medium-tech planed nano, but that's going to have to wait a few months to get started, so my first project is going to be the lowest of low tech planted biotopes and I've already got a long list of questions for you all. I'm planning on doing a Journal - but don't hold your breath, it's not going to be as impressive as many of the setups I've seen here!

Welcome Mike.

Hi Mike! I have just moved to Leicester from Nottingham. Are there any good aquatics places 'round here? The best I've found is natural world pets in Syston - they are excellent for driftwood and stone - They sell both per Kilo

Lee

Clearwater seems to vary a lot from one visit to the next. For instance, they sometimes have some really nice wood, the next time hardly any wood and none worth having.
Leicester Aquatics often have some nice wood and rocks. They are re-vamping their plant display at the moment, so we can hope for the best.
Ocean Commotion is just round the corner from there (on Clarendon Park Road) so it's worth a visit while you are in the area. They sometimes have some nice plants, and the fish are usually healthy.
A trip to Birstall (not far from Leicester) can be worthwhile. There is a garden centre (near the roundabout in the village centre) with a small, but nice aquatics department, which sometimes has some interesting fish, and stocks a few Tropica plants. The staff there are helpful and knowledgeable, which is nice. I keep forgetting to ask, but I think they would order any Tropica for you if they haven't got it in stock.
Also in Birstall is Friends In Soggy Homes (Wanlip Road); not great for hardscape, and quite poor for plants, but they have some good fish, and usually have nice, fat, healthy Otocinclus and Bristle Noses in stock.
All just my opinion, of course.
No affiliation with any of them.

Back