• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Loaches / Bristlenose in a planted tank

bRAM's Bettas

Seedling
Hi,
Well finally finished the re-scape of my 190L tank. Sorry for the picture quality, it is of my phone (promise I will get some camera pictures on shortly! :oops: )...

fishtank.jpg

At the moment I have the majority of my fish that were in this tank up stairs in my betta growing out tank. The problem I have is amongst these fish awaiting to be re-introduced to the above tank are 1 x bristlenose plec, 2 x polka dot loaches and 2 x yoyo loaches. The worrying thing is all my planted Cabomba caroliniana will be dug up, mainly by the loaches. Have any of you experienced this, just I would hate to come down one morning to witness a majority of my plants floating :twisted:

On the other hand, these particular fish are amongst the oldest fish I own (especially Elvis the bristlenose - 5 years old!). Not sure what to do :?

I would like to say "What ever happen to your first scape will probably happen to your second scape as you have had to rescape - what happened to the first scape.

Paul

The tank before above was pretty bland... the fish themselves took priority and the aquascaping took a back seat! The scape above is my first proper attempt at aquascaping i.e. research, purchasing correct materials like Tetra complete substrate and fertiliser.

So, to be honest my fish have never met such a lush vegetation, hence be being a little apprehensive :?

I have never kept either but the reports you see on the internet are mixed. Some people will have no problems with bristlenoses others will find their entire scape destroyed in moments.

I would suggest trying it and seeing what happens, you may be one of the lucky ones you may not. Transfer them over one morning when you're going to be in all day and see how they go. If they start uprooting everything then you've got your answer and you'll just have to plug a few plants back in here and there. If they don't uproot everything then 'bonus' you're one of the lucky ones!

Fish are all different.

Theres nothing more i would love to do but have my Rio 180 as a planted tank which i can show off, but unfortunately my choice of fauna when i initially started out prevents me from achieving this. I've tried a few times but the fact of the matter is i have two bristlenose' that just love to uproot my crypts and constantly detatch my anubias before its had a chance to root onto the wood. My loaches, dwarf chain and clown loach, also love to bury their noses in the substrate and stir up detritus and plants whenever they have a spare minute (most of the day + night). Consequently i have scrapped the idea and since just try and make it look presentable - i still fail :p

I wouldnt advise mixing these fish with the planted tank. It can be done, but most people suffer from constant uprooting of their 'beloved' plants. I can't bare to part with my loach + bristlenose, so i'll be moving them to a 2ft tank soon possibly and attempting my planted tank in my 3ft in the near future. Although my Jack Dempseys like digging too :( I can't win :rolleyes:

Verminator said:
Theres nothing more i would love to do but have my Rio 180 as a planted tank which i can show off, but unfortunately my choice of fauna when i initially started out prevents me from achieving this. I've tried a few times but the fact of the matter is i have two bristlenose' that just love to uproot my crypts and constantly detatch my anubias before its had a chance to root onto the wood. My loaches, dwarf chain and clown loach, also love to bury their noses in the substrate and stir up detritus and plants whenever they have a spare minute (most of the day + night). Consequently i have scrapped the idea and since just try and make it look presentable - i still fail :p

I wouldnt advise mixing these fish with the planted tank. It can be done, but most people suffer from constant uprooting of their 'beloved' plants. I can't bare to part with my loach + bristlenose, so i'll be moving them to a 2ft tank soon possibly and attempting my planted tank in my 3ft in the near future. Although my Jack Dempseys like digging too :( I can't win :rolleyes:

Thank you mate... I will think about some other fish to replace the loaches (some corys perhaps), but neither will be released into my beloved planted tank.

Back