• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

local wood?

padlock

how about using wood that i collected myself for a shrimp tank? i found some lovely convoluted branchy pieces of ivy that i'd love to use but am scared, if i boil it wood it be safe?

ok thanks, i wont use ivy but if i do find dried real wood then i'll soak it for a month then boil, thanks for your help

IME try to find dead wood that is not on the ground (either still attached to the tree or suspended off the ground in a pile of twigs) from either Oak or Beech as these have both been used by lots of people with no issues. Apparently people in Australia have used old, dried Eucalyptus but I'd avoid anything with sticky sap or known chemical properties like that.

what i'd do is just leave it out for a few weeks on a clean, dry surface, or in a greenhouse if you have one?

You can use most hard woods but they have to be seasoned and free of any lichen and fungi as both contain toxins. You shouldn't use anything from a park etc as most are sprayed with harmful chemicals

Back