• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Lockdown wildlife pond

It all went a bit mingin for a bit but i think a corner has been turned. Got lots of plants in now, pretty much just seeing what takes.

Parents brought over a carrier bag of hornwort from their pond. After buying a small quantity from a garden centre for an exorbitant fee, i reckon there was £100 worth in the bag at least!

20200621_191050.jpg

It all went a bit mingin for a bit but i think a corner has been turned. Got lots of plants in now, pretty much just seeing what takes.

Parents brought over a carrier bag of hornwort from their pond. After buying a small quantity from a garden centre for an exorbitant fee, i reckon there was £100 worth in the bag at least!

View attachment 150992

Looks really nice pal!

If you ever have too much would happily take some off your hands! Can’t believe how much pond plants are! They’re literally weeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I /www.ukaps.org/forum/attachments/hornwort_bucket-jpg.106145/']maybe a millionaire[/URL]"> I have six buckets and a pond full. Reminds me of @Edvet 's /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/ei-dosing-using-dry-salts.1211/page-18']Duckweed mountain[/URL]">.

cheers Darrel

Fancy selling some Darrel?

Hi all,
Fancy selling some Darrel?

I can have a go. I haven’t tended to post Hornwort, because if it’s held up I the post you just get green <“mush“>.

I’ve got a few plants and bits to post. So far it has been bit hit and miss with the couple of parcels that I’ve posted since March.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all, That was what I was thinking.

The plant in the middle of the pond (that has just become emergent) looks like it might be <"Parrot's-feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum)">?

cheers Darrel
Hi darrel, it is Myriophyllum "red stem", which im guessing is the same. There's a banned version isnt there? But i dont think this is it. Could be wrong...

Is it problematic in some way?

Nice pond. 💪 That sewer pipe looks intriguing.. :)

The M. red stem goes in the trade often as M. brasiliensis, but this seems to be synonym and officially a different strain of M. aquaticum. It easily survives a relatively mild frost, i already have it growing for a few years now in the garden.

The ban they gave it is a bit useless mesaure, because it already was a problem a few years after its introduction somewhere in the 17th or 18th century. It escaped from a Dutch conservatory back then and it's here ever since.

I've got parrots feather in one of my little tubs and find it a great, if invasive, plant. You need to dispose of it responsibly because it is a banned species. It's growth will likely be controlled by the ponds location but it can really take over if you let it.

Thanks all,

In terms of the aesthetics of the rock work around the pond it could be improved upon certainly but it doesnt bother me, but if you think it matters functionally thats different issue.

For sure you wont see a pond in nature that looks like this, but ive seen ponds done this way, or near enough, and they appear to host lots of wildlife.

The plan with the beach is to bound it with a ring of submerged stone to prevent slippage. Ive plenty of cut off liner so will double up, also along the edge as suggested.

Wood is something im not short of so that should be ok.

Thanks

Looking really good. I'm moving soon and getting a garden yay! And a pond is on my to do list. Where'd you get your rocks from, I've looked around garden centres and not seen anything suitable?

Looking really good. I'm moving soon and getting a garden yay! And a pond is on my to do list. Where'd you get your rocks from, I've looked around garden centres and not seen anything suitable?
Good luck. Rocks were just house 'rubble' from renovation and some pilfered from my garden wall.

Back