• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long Fin White Cloud Minnow disease

Lech

Seedling
Hi
Few days ago i spotted abnormal condition of one of my white cloud minnows. It looks like some sort of deformation around/on eyes. I tried to find some info over web but with no luck. If someone could help me with identifying what is it and possible treatment for it. I hope pictures (not the best quality) will help. Thx in advance.
Lech

20141025_184414_zps8d872703.jpg

20141025_185057_zpsa15412f6.jpg

20141025_184249_zps09e23f17.jpg

Exophthalmus, or Pop-eye. Your LFS should have a treatment for it, Myxazin or equivalent. It's often triggered by an injury or poor water conditions, so you might check your tank for sharp or rough objects, aggressive fish, or deteriorating water quality.

Reactions: tim
Looked up Myxazine, sadly it doesn't tell what it contains. "a broadspectrum bactericide" doesn't mean anything. Either it's an antibiotic in wich case you disrupt all the filterbacteria in your tank, or it's some kind of desinfectant in which case it won't realy do anything against internal bacterial infections................

Thx for all info unfortunately I had tu put little fella down. I tried to get help in my LFS but nobody could suggest anything apart from antibiotics which in my case was impossible to apply. They suggest it could be caused by high concentration of organic materia like decaying bits from plants. I do regular water checks and since tank is well matured water parameters are always in norm and I try to keep it clean so I don't...

Hi all,
Bad luck, I've never seen a fish recover from pop-eye that bad.
They suggest it could be caused by high concentration of organic materia like decaying bits from plants
That is a bizarre conclusion, and they really should do better than that, but unfortunately it is one I've heard suggested before.

There seems to be a strong thread amongst some fish keepers that even a small amount of decaying plant material will kill all your fish. I don't know where it started, or why it persists.

Because your tank is planted, and your plants look healthy, it is very unlikely to be a water quality issue. Plants are the single factor that has the greatest positive effect on water quality, but some fish keepers are very resistant to this idea.

cheers Darrel

Looked up Myxazine, sadly it doesn't tell what it contains. "a broadspectrum bactericide" doesn't mean anything. Either it's an antibiotic in wich case you disrupt all the filterbacteria in your tank, or it's some kind of desinfectant in which case it won't realy do anything against internal bacterial infections................
I looked too
http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Myxazin

They all use preservatives or antiseptics as their active ingredients. I'm far from being an expert, but I would have thought they're as effective as taking a TCP bath to treat a chest infection.

Their own site doesn't mention ingredients, which in itself doesn't install confidence in the quality of these products.
Let me put it diffirently: if you gow to your vet with a sick animal and on the shelf he has two pots of medications: a "skin medication treatment oil' and a "tablets against internal bacteria", and that's all he has. how long would he stay in business you think?

Back