• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long term substrate choice

mlgt

Wanted to open a can of worms in regards to what peoples choice would be a large low tech tank.

Im thinking of something that will be running for 5+ years.

I've been running a 350 tank for 6 years solely on play sand. It doesn't have a soil base underneath and when I first started the tank. I simply added filter bacteria and osmocote.

Now I have been toying with something similar to akadama, but also wanted something fairly cost effective.

Heres the initial scape 6 years ago
bday048_800x600.jpg

1 year later
Rena012.jpg

Then Evolved

Fishtank_rescape_Oct_2014_006.jpg

And heres how it is now
http://postimg.org/image/6fvkt6uc7/

Welcome your thoughts and comments.

It's a very nice looking set up. I've used sand for years and have always loved how natural it looks with the browns of the wood and greens of the plants. I'm sure you get a lot of pleasure from it, if it's working and it looks that good don't change a thing.

I have tropical plant substrate. I was under the impression the sphagnum moss and clay would absorb nutrients, making it good long term; if worst came to the worst I'd stick some root tabs in I suppose

Thanks. I was just a touch worried about the build-up I see on the bottom of the substrates.
But besides that the plants are healthy as others have said I can shove a root tab into the substrate to top up the plants.

I guess I was seeking some sense of direction in which would prompt me to rescape as such. Well as the saying goes, if it aint broke.

I will probably tidy up the plants during the easter break and insert some tabs into areas of heavy growth. Then top up fert dosing.

Was this when you decided you only liked rocks? :D
Thanks for sharing the pic!

Back