• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Longevity of Apple wood in aquarium conditions?

Maf 2500

Anyone have an idea of the longevity of Apple wood in aquarium conditions?

I have an exceptional piece cut from a dead limb of a hundred year old tree that was infested with wooly aphids at one time, giving the characteristic knobbly texture that is absolutely beautiful once the bark is removed. It is currently curing with the intention of using it in a year or so. The thing is, it is a very large and heavy piece and would be a PITA to have to remove it from the tank if it did not work out after a year or two (90cm long x 20-25cm diameter). Common sense tells me apple is a relatively hard wood and should last a relatively long time but don't know what "relatively" is in this context. Just wondering if anyone had any direct experience of submerged apple wood?

Hi all,
Common sense tells me apple is a relatively hard wood and should last a relatively long time but don't know what "relatively" is in this context. Just wondering if anyone had any direct experience of submerged apple wood?
I've used it, it lasts pretty well, but nothing like as long as Oak (Quercus). If you have Ancistrus or Panaqolus, it is a preferred eating option.

cheers Darrel

So, a little update. The limb of apple wood I cut in late 2021 has developed fruiting bodies of bracket fungi already. I shouldn't really be surprised as the lower part of the trunk I cut down (several feet below the cut) had the same type of fruiting bodies and I guess the mycelium was already well established in the branch I cut off. The question is... is this wood too far gone for aquarium use? Would submerging it in water drown out the fungi and stabilise the wood as is? Or is the fungus not of concern for our use?

Pictures below. I haven't yet cleared off the remainder of the bark or terrestial moss, not sure it is going to be worth the effort if the wood is borked already. The wood still seems hard and heavy, not disintegrating in any way.

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_163934.jpg
    IMG_20220121_163934.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20220121_164016.jpg
    IMG_20220121_164016.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 88
I’d scrub it clean and submerge in a water butt for a year (or so). Be ready for use more or less after that I would think? i.e. Waterlogged, sap free and devoid of terrestrial organisms.

Last edited:
Thanks, that sounds do-able. Not in a hurry to use the giant wood and water butt space available.

As suggested scrub (or pressure wash) it then submerge in water for a good while. Overnight in a bleach solution before a long soak in water would probably help kill the fungi quicker.

Back