• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

look at my roots

Jaseon

Not trying to brag, but my frogbit roots are over a foot long.

frogbit.jpg

I always thought they grow longer roots when nutrients are low, but looking at the colour of those plants and frogbit I don't they're lacking in anything.

I always thought they grow longer roots when nutrients are low, but looking at the colour of those plants and frogbit I don't they're lacking in anything.
Oh? Would like to know if there's any truth to that. Like the plants are searching for nutrients?

I did just read someone query stunted root growth so dont know.

Was just reading that their roots in the wild can grow over 2 feet long....still reading.

Just found this,

Amazon frogbit is a nitrate-hungry plant and nitrate in the water column is one of the major factors when comes to their root growth. The roots grow shorter if the nitrate and nutrient levels are high in the water column. On the contrary, the roots tend to grow longer if the nitrate levels are low. The general idea is that in an aquarium with low nitrates in the water column, the roots of an amazon frogbit try to race for the substrate.

Last edited:
Got them over a meter, once they hit the substrate they go bonkers

I don't have american frogbit but I've found that flow has a massive impact on the growth form and root length of water lettuce. With no/minimal flow it grows large rosettes and the roots stretch all the way to the substrate but increasing flow and/or redirecting it across the surface seems to cause the plant to transition to its dwarf form and grow roots only an inch or two long.

Not trying to brag,
Yes you are and that is great! ... I mean if you cant show off your success on an aquatic plant forum I am not sure where then.... :lol:

but my frogbit roots are over a foot long.
WOW :)

What @hypnogogia and @xZaiox said... In my more traditionally dosed tank the roots stays short and the frogbit are propagating like crazy. However, in my very leanly dosed tank the roots gets very long as well and the frogbit grow big (big and more leaves on each individual plant), but wont propagate as much. I wonder what your dosing regime is.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I wonder what your dosing regime is.

Cheers,
Michael
I dose with 3ml TNC complete once a week. Tanks 37lts. Maybe not enough, but i always thought start low, and see how it goes. Although its a sign that they are not getting enough nutrients the plants dont look like they are suffering, and the shrimp seem to enjoy hanging on the roots. They are growing well enough ive been able to propagate them into my main shrimp tank

20230131_102712.jpg

20230131_103041.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

They look pretty healthy.

cheers Darrel
I bought these has a batch of 10 online, and for awhile they had that tires track/ lacing across the leaves even the newer ones. I cant remember what deficiency that pointed to maybe potassium or iron, but they no longer seem affected by it.

Hi all,
they had that tires track/ lacing across the leaves even the newer ones. I cant remember what deficiency that pointed to maybe potassium or iron
Guess work to some degree, but I think it is probably iron (Fe). The reason I think this is in <"Frogbit taken a turn">, the whole thread makes an interesting read.

cheers Darrel

Back