• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Look whats been hanging around my nano

Ian Holdich

I noticed this little guy last week, there is some emersed Hydro Japan and Ludwigia now coming from this tank. I noticed this funny little ladybird in the hydro. I thought he was just hanging in there. But over the week he seems to have made my nano his home. Here he is just chillin on the wood.

8118782902_7018ff975f.jpg
IMG_2893 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

8118783636_f18b359f63.jpg
IMG_2890 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Hi all,
He is probably a Harlequin Ladybird (Harmonia axyridis), they come into houses to hibernate.

I rather liked this headline from "the Independent", not over the top at all.

"Invading cannibal ladybirds take over Britain's homes. Asian interlopers devour native insect populations and exude chemical that could ruin your curtains" <http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...dybirds-take-over-britains-homes-6287000.html>

cheers Darrel

holy crap...he's gonna eat the curtains!

my missus is gonna be fuming!

I have read about Harlequins before, and how they are invading the Uk. I thought it may be a 16 spot though.

Got it ID'd by an expert from here

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/

It is a Harlequin...i also asked him about the dangers

Hi Ian.
They're not quite the problem that was originally forecast.
There was talk of them wiping out the indigenous species but, for whatever reason, that doesn't seem to have happened.
One theory is that they do not survive our winters as well as the home grown species.
Or maybe the cross-bred population does not survive well or has difficulty in reproduction.
Who knows. Nature has many ways of stabilising populations.

What to do with him?
I have a theory that when man interferes with nature, it's usually for all the wrong reasons.
I'd just release him to the wild (anywhere) and let nature take it's course. There is precious little sentiment out there in the wild.

Alan

Alan (the main man), reckons he's gonna go into hibernation. He hasn't moved from that stick now since i took the pics. I'll just leave him i reckon.

You'll come down one morning in spring and he'll be 6ft tall stood at the cooker making a bacon butty. mark my words!

Back