• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for advice and opinions!

Slyspy

Seedling
Hi. I've finally got my 180l tank up to something like I want it:

DSCF0431small.jpg

Sorry about the reflection!

I'm dosing with EasyCarbo (6ml daily), and EI dry ferts (1/2tsp KNO3, 1/8tsp KPO4, 1/8tsp trace, 1tsp MgSO4 all three times a week). Does this sound about right? Filter is a Tetratec ex1200, lighting 90W juwel T5s.

All in all I'm pleased with how it is going. I find that the plants on the left, under the spray bar, grow faster than those on the right even when they are the same type, so I'm planning to extend the spray bar right across the tank. Hopefully this will spread the nutrients more evenly?

I'm trying some Cyperus Helferi on the right, but it isn't really growing much and has some brown spots on the leaves. Any advice from you experienced guys is welcome. Likewise with the clumps of HC which just sit there doing nothing. Would it help to replant them as individual plantlets?

All the enchinodorus are thriving. I'm very pleased with the Enchinodorus "Red Diamond" in the centre - it has produced some lovely red leaves. As they get older though they turn a kind of bronze colour. Even new leaves now seem less red. Would this be normal or is is a nutirent/light issue?

My other red leaved plants (Alternanthera and Ludwigia) still have some red but it is less vibrant and growth is very slow. I guess this is a light issue. The one on the right (I can't remember which is which!) suffers for patchy and holely leaves on older growth.

I'm thinking of taking the plunge into pressurized CO2. Can anyone recommend an off the shelf system? Although mindful of the expense I'm rubbish at DIY so the FE solution is not my cup of tea. Also would it really be that useful on the set up I have?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Hi,
This is an amazing accomplishment on that size tank using liquid carbon only. I would be quite happy with that but the tank is still CO2 limited, meaning that all the problems you are having such as holes and stunted growth are a result of lower levels of CO2, definitely NOT light issue. This can be addressed in the short term by adding more liquid carbon but ultimately, gas injection will be the best way of achieving this.

The red in the sword leaves doesn't last, so this is typical. Just prune the leaf off when it turns green if you don't like it.

Cheers,

Slyspy said:
Hi. I've finally got my 180l tank up to something like I want it:

I'm thinking of taking the plunge into pressurized CO2. Can anyone recommend an off the shelf system? Although mindful of the expense I'm rubbish at DIY so the FE solution is not my cup of tea. Also would it really be that useful on the set up I have?

Slyspy

If you fancy a ready made system - keep your eye on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0323974964

Regards
Paul.

I have these system in both my tanks - diffuser has been replaced with a reactor, bottle is 2kg not 500g, everything else is the same.

ceg4048 said:
This is an amazing accomplishment on that size tank using liquid carbon only.
I'll have to agree with that. :D
My 6 week old tank don't look that good yet, and I've got pressurised CO2 :oops: :lol:
Well done Slyspy.

Slyspy said:
Likewise with the clumps of HC which just sit there doing nothing.
IME I think you'll find the HC is CO2 hungry too, as ceg4048 says. I had a battle royal getting the CO2 down to mine, but once sorted it's now growing and spreading just fine.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words and the link!

I have other questions: Is it worth buying the plant pro versions of my juwel lights and as and when the current bulbs fade? I guess it won't make much difference at the moment, but if I get pressurized CO2 maybe?

If I do go down the pressurized route will I need to change my dosing regime? Maybe increased dosages, or salts that I don't currently dose? Would it still be worth dosing some EasyCarbo, if only for its anti-algae properties?

Thanks folks!

Well, are these Plant Pros more expensive? Are they prettier? These are the only two questions you need to answer and then you can make your decision strictly based on the answers to those two questions. They are no better or worse for your plants, that's for sure, just another marketing expression. I reckon that vendors insert the word "Pro" in their product name because they must figure that we "amateurs" will flock to the shops to pony up the cash thinking that we're buying something legendary. To put it into perspective, imagine if someone tried to sell you "Pro H2O" for your water changes. How absurd would that be?

Only change your dosing regime if you have to, if you see that there is a need to. Increased CO2 will increase the demand and uptake for nutrients, but you are already dosing the EI levels, so just implement the injection strategy and observe. Increasing the growth rate changes you tank in a profound way. You may find that you need to improve flow, or increase some component of the dosing, and you'll certainly need to trim more, especially if the plants that are not growing well now suddenly start to increase their growth rate.

Whether you continue to dose Easycarbo is up to you. As long as you are not over the top on lighting you ought to be able to accomplish your goals with the proper flow, distribution and injection rate.

Cheers,

Back