• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for opinions by Flourish Tabs - product of Seachem

Federal

Dear friends,
I am thinking of using Flourish Tabs - Seachem - Flourish Tabs to my aquascape but I have never used it before. Could you give me you opinions based on your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

My opinion on them... well Seachem says they contain ’no phosphate or nitrate that would promote algae proliferation‘ and it seems to be true. A friend tested them and they release ammonia instead. Seachem is true to the letter. It’s even in the list of ingredients 0.8% water soluble nitrogen. It’s just a little ammonia but weird oversight.

Phosphate and nitrate may help algae to grow, what else do these help promote growing?... well plants. If I were to use root tabs I would expect them to help in plant growing . So for me, fertilizers with such bold claims in the year 2022 get a hard pass. Ammonia instead of nitrate is just the cherry on top of the pumice , sorry meant to say Matrix(tm).

Hi all,
Expensive. Over £1 per tab over here.
Seachem says they contain ’no phosphate or nitrate that would promote algae proliferation‘ and it seems to be true. A friend tested them and they release ammonia instead. Seachem is true to the letter. It’s even in the list of ingredients 0.8% water soluble nitrogen. It’s just a little ammonia but weird oversight.
Same for me, I'm also incredibly cynical about <"Seachem's advertising">, and I don't think it is an oversight.

I think they want to say "no nitrates or phosphates", because that reinforces the narrative that they are the agents that cause algae and helps them sell <"Seachem Flourish">, <"Seachem de❊nitrate"> <"Plant Pack™ Enhancer NPK">etc.

I think the ammonia is deliberately included because it will, in most cases, <"cause a rapid greening"> and some growth of your plants. They know that, and that is why it is there.

This is the blurb for <"Seachem Flourish Nitrogen">
....Flourish Nitrogen™ is a concentrated (15,000 mg/L) blend of nitrogen sources. It provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the plant-preferred ammonium form. However, no free ammonia is released because the ammonium in Flourish Nitrogen™ is complexed and unavailable until utilized by the plants.....
I also enjoyed the "concentrated" comment in the blurb. Because "mg / L" and "ppm" are equivalents, you could write that as 15,000 ppm in 1,000,000 ppm (1.5%) and "concentrated" seems to be interesting interpretation.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I've already inserted the tabs in the gravel. After a month will write here the result.

Thanks!

Nothing! Liquid fertilizers are more useful than tablets in any form.

I can't speak to Flourish tabs, but if you're using cheap inert substrate in a new tank, I believe that (some) root tabs may have a some merit to give certain plants a leg up when settling in. As the tank matures, water column dosing is all you need.

Cheers,
Michael

Back