• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking for suggestions on what is wrong here

Recently overhauled totally my 60ltr. tank. Added Tetra plant sticks in substrate before planting out. There is CO2 injection and I does a general fert. daily. Some plants are OK but others not ie: see pics. of Pog. erectus & Hygro. corymbosa. One thing I've noticed is there is no pearling yet there was in previous set up on Java ferns in particular. Maybe, I need to increase light intensity or period? They've had plenty of time to settle in, so that is discounted in my book. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
IMG_3957.jpg
IMG_3956.jpg

Hi all,
Some plants are OK but others not ie: see pics. of Pog. erectus & Hygro. corymbosa.
They looks like fish have eaten them. The skeletonized Hygrophila leaf (at the back with the Cherry shrimp) looks very <"fish nibbled">.

If that is an albino Chinese Sucking Loach (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) in the photo? Then that might well be your culprit.

cheers Darrel

Perhaps start offering some green food like courgette cucumber etc. If the problem gets less (or not worse), you know its a fish. If the plants continue to deteriorate you know its something else? :)

Thanks for replies. It is possible they are nibbling after lights out, I'll try and monitor more closely. I have used cucumber which the fish and shrimps seem to like. It is of note that the Pogo was mainly loosing leaves from the bottom to start with and progressing up the stems. Does that give any clues?

I now think suggestions of shrimps nibbling could be right wrt. Hygro. corymbosa. However, wrt. Pogostemon erectus, I'm not convinced. Have a look at below picture showing it definitely rotting/melting or whatever. I'm going to try a little increase in light intensity to see if that helps. Any other suggestions more than welcome. Thanks
IMG_3968.JPG

I had this problem in my old tank. I use to own 15 pentazona barbs, after 2 years they started to decimate my hygro polysperma at night.

Someone on here suggested i start feeding a bit of "sushi nori" on a clip, they absolutely loved it, they ripped it apart like mini piranhas - was very cool to watch. They stopped munching on the polysperma after that, or it was very minimal.

Back