• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Looking to get into CO2, what should I go for?

td731

Hi everyone

I have a 70 L planted tank and would like to get CO2 on it as liquid CO2 doesn't seem to work too well for me and I really want to boost my plant growth (ive never been able to achieve pearling yet either :()

I've been considering a few options as I have a fairly low budget (£80ish) - lets assume I already have the bubble counter and drop checker etc:

1) Tropica System nano or Fluval CO2 (both 95g) (roughly £80 which is my limit)
This seems quite expensive though if the bottles only last for a month max and they need replacing completely

2) Some form of DIY Soda Stream setup
This seems to be the best option as the bottles are 425g but would require me to get a regulator and solenoid and adaptor on top of the bottle- does anyone have any decent budget ones for this?

3) DIY Citric acid with baking soda
There isn't too much out there on this method and Im not really sure how effective it is so am wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I have heard that you can fit a solenoid to it too. Some example equipment is this which is fairly cheap (obvs would need to buy the solenoid) [CO2 Generator for plants DIY]

What do you all think of these ideas and do you have any suggested equipment that will fit my budget? If anyone has any other ideas regarding setups that would be great! I dont really want to go down the yeast route as it seems unreliable and messy.

Thanks all!

Having a £80ish budget and getting a nano set will be costly inthe long term replacing bottles frequently. It might be better cheaper in long run as Zeus says or if really unsure a CO2 art basic set and save for the FE. On the nano set side if thats what you are going with the Tropica 95g was reduced to 50 qiud around Christmas on some sites may have gone up now?possibly

thanks for the replies so far! Yeah I think the Tropica Nano setup will be too expensive in the long run. My tank sits above a chest of draws so I dont have any storage space underneath. The canister filter is down the side so thats where the CO2 would have to sit as well (so its marginally visible). Therefore I think the soda stream bottle would be better as its less inconspicuous (thinner and not bright red). @Nick potts Im assuming that you need an adaptor for the soda stream and also the regulator (having read the reviews)?

thanks for the replies so far! Yeah I think the Tropica Nano setup will be too expensive in the long run. My tank sits above a chest of draws so I dont have any storage space underneath. The canister filter is down the side so thats where the CO2 would have to sit as well (so its marginally visible). Therefore I think the soda stream bottle would be better as its less inconspicuous (thinner and not bright red). @Nick potts Im assuming that you need an adaptor for the soda stream and also the regulator (having read the reviews)?

You will need 1 adapter, I use this one Advanced Adapter for SodaStream Cylinders

Screw that on to the SodaStream bottle and the reg attaches to that

Back