• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Loss of water in bubble counter

Tucker90

Is this a sign my extinguisher is nearly empty? Saw a pretty dramatic reduction within the last 3 days?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a sign my extinguisher is nearly empty? Saw a pretty dramatic reduction within the last 3 days?!

Hi, I believe it just evaporates out. I don’t bother refilling mine once I have my bubble count set to the level I want.

cheers

Conor

d83b06d8931375501a4dfbff422f9388.jpg

Best to use mineral oil to fill a Co2 bubble counter.

Best to use mineral oil to fill a Co2 bubble counter
You will read with many bubble counters to use water only so maybe worth following the manufacturers advice.
No idea about your extinguisher being nearly empty - someone with more knowledge might help if you detail the regulator you have.
Most if not everyone experiences water loss from bubble counters I know that from first hand experience and people asking the exact question many times on here.

You will read with many bubble counters to use water only so maybe worth following the manufacturers advice.

No idea about your extinguisher being nearly empty - someone with more knowledge might help if you detail the regulator you have.
Most if not everyone experiences water loss from bubble counters I know that from first hand experience and people asking the exact question many times on here.

Thanks Andrew, it’s a co2 art reg, after reading up turns out it can be a number of things, but nothing to worry about!

Topped it up will monitor it as we go!

Have used mineral in Co2 counters for years. Never a problem. Learned it from another hobbyist.

Works great an actually makes it easier to see the bubbles better.

Last edited:
All water filled bubble counters will empty out over time. At first I thought there was a micro leak in my counter that could not be detected by soap testing. Now I came to believe it is evaporation loss from dry CO2 bubbling through water. I’m afraid of using mineral oil for fear of backing Up into the regulator because my bubble counter does not come with built in check valve. Many CO2 diffuser doubles as bubble counter, but rarely with reactor except Tunze style reactor which I use. Tunze has the advantage over regular bubble counter because the bubble size is 3x as large which transfers into slower rate I can read.

https://www.tunze.com/CA/en/details/7074.500-co2-diffuser.html

I have the same issue in the straight CO2 Art bubble counter on my regulator - I would personally be reluctant in using mineral oil in case it found its way up the CO2 line into the tank. I know when I’ve overfilled bubble counters in the past some excess water can work it’s way up the tubing.

At least with the glycerine option, it is a safe edible substance.

You can also buy this stuff off the shelf:

https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/neutro-bubble-counter-fluid-100ml-p-6203.html

Though it could well just be glycerine also.

Back