• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lots of plants getting brown edges?

Epiphyte

So this has been plaguing me for a while and sadly seems to be getting worse. Almost all my plants seem to be struggling with "brown edges", for use of a better term.

Running high lighting, CO2 and dosing 20ml of TNC Complete per day (350L tank).

I'm assuming it's a nutrient deficincy, but which nutrient should I start with?

Thanks!

20210119_160843.jpg

Hi all,
I'm assuming it's a nutrient deficincy, but which nutrient should I start with?
Those look like they are the <"emersed leaves"> of Bolbitis heudelotii, from when it was produced by Tropica etc. So you could say "CO2", but my guess is that the plant will always shed the emersed leaves once it is immersed again.

The new unfurling frond (on the right) looks fine, so I'd probably nip the old fronds off as they begin to deteriorate.

I'll put a couple of photos in:
B. heudelotii in the wild, you can see the leaf shape looks like your leaves.

c4296ef35c54d4fd0db00938128368c3-jpg.jpg

Grown immersed low tech, low nutrients and pretty neglected. This is what it <"looks like closer up">.

bolbitis_feb2016_web_zpsbqqmfvrr-jpg-82928-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks @dw1305. These plants are around 2-3 months old now so I'm surprised it's only just started the transition into immersed leaves.

The thing is I've also got some 4+ month old anubais nana and some buce which are showing the exact same symptoms of "browning". None of the plants look even remotely as lush as the ones in your images, whilst they are growing well everything is a little yellow, rather than that beautiful deep green.

I'll get some more photos later

Hi all,
None of the plants look even remotely as lush as the ones in your images, whilst they are growing well everything is a little yellow, rather than that beautiful deep green.
You also have GSA on your Anubias and also on the leaves Bolbitis heudelotii!
Could well be a light issue. Mine mainly grow low down in the tanks <"where it is pretty gloomy">.

What do the rest of the plants look like?

cheers Darrel

High lighting is always asking for trouble in any new set up...…. even for the experienced Aquascaper!
That's why I always advocate plant cover especially in a new set - up!
Using stem plants as a filtering aid! | UK Aquatic Plant Society (ukaps.org)
GSA.....appears on glass/equipment/slow growing plants in various situations.
Too much light, duration/intensity will cause Diatoms/GSA/Green Thread Algae but to name a few.
hoggie

Hi all,

Could well be a light issue. Mine mainly grow low down in the tanks <"where it is pretty gloomy">.

What do the rest of the plants look like?

cheers Darrel

Most of the plants seem to be doing pretty well. The stems are obscenely high now, Java ferns are looking quite nice too and the some of my anubiases (anubiai? :bored:) have recently flowered.

I did get my hands in the tank today, it's water change day, and the plants definitely have an excess of algae on them, including GSA as Hoggie says. I've raised my lights by 6-8" or so, the tank already looks dimmer, so I'm hoping that slows the algae growth.

tooHi
You also have GSA on your Anubias and also on the leaves Bolbitis heudelotii!
This could be a consequence dosing 20ml TNC daily....the high lighting wont do either of those two plants any favours!
Please read the guidelines for plant help! | UK Aquatic Plant Society (ukaps.org)

High lighting is always asking for trouble in any new set up...…. even for the experienced Aquascaper!
That's why I always advocate plant cover especially in a new set - up!
Using stem plants as a filtering aid! | UK Aquatic Plant Society (ukaps.org)
GSA.....appears on glass/equipment/slow growing plants in various situations.
Too much light, duration/intensity will cause Diatoms/GSA/Green Thread Algae but to name a few.
hoggie

Thanks Hoggie. As above I've raised my lights by 6-8" to drop the light levels. I think this may be my issue despite the other half of my tank seeing to be loving the high light setup. I'm still quite new at this so planning plant locations wasn't my string point when I got the bottle of super glue out back in September when I set this up. Live and learn I guess!

I have already dropped my photoperiod from 8 to 6hrs a week or two ago, but hopefully this raising of the lights will help further.

Back