• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Growing Plants?

curlywig

Seedling
hi, im after a low growing plant that will naturalise amongst the bases of my taller plants and towards the front were its more open and probaly lighter. i considered riccia but think my light may not be enough which is a shame, crpyts have never done well in my tank. i dont want pygmy chain sword as it looks messy when it takes over. i have sagitaria nantans in the tank at the moment but im not to keen on its radom vallis like spreading. oh and java moss is not on my wish list either

Tank is tropical & 200 litres with 2.2watts per gallon and has CO2, water is PH 6.8 and soft

Thank you

Hi,
Have a look at the Journals section and see what types of carpet plants are in use. To make a very broad statement, if you have trouble with crypts it's likely that you will have trouble with most carpet plants. The problem is typically poor CO2 and/or flow. Nutrient dosing is always a suspect under this type of lighting as well.

In any case, check other members' journals and ask identification if you have difficulty.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
Have a look at the Journals section and see what types of carpet plants are in use. To make a very broad statement, if you have trouble with crypts it's likely that you will have trouble with most carpet plants. The problem is typically poor CO2 and/or flow. Nutrient dosing is always a suspect under this type of lighting as well.

In any case, check other members' journals and ask identification if you have difficulty.

Cheers,

Howdy peeps, just a thought but would Marsilea hirsuta be a decent choice with lower light with good a dosing regime.

Hi,
Yes, Marsilea hirsuta is an alternative to the more difficult and similar looking Glossostigma elatinoides. This can work.

Cheers,

Thanks for the confirmation on that Ceg. This planted stuff is like a foreign planet to me sometimes but i like to think I'm understanding more and more, definitely since joining here anyway. You guys are a TOP bunch and really know your stuff :D and have been extremely helpful to me so far and i have'nt even started my tank yet :lol:

Back