• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low light and certain plants

FishWorks

Hey Guys,

I've been contemplating to go low-light my next setup because its easier to manage long-term.

Can I grow red plants in low light (it doesnt have to be bright red)?

Can I grow carpeting plants like Monte Carlo, Dwarf Hairgrass and Echinodorus Tenellus in low light?

Thanks,
-Harry

How low is “low light”?

What about
CO2?
Fertilizers?
Aquarium Soil?
Water changes?
Livestock?
All of these will significantly impact an aquarium, especially when there is a strong limiting factor imposed

Plants are much more accepting of a single limitation than of limitations across the board

What are you expecting in terms of plant growth? plant health?

Can I grow carpeting plants like Monte Carlo, Dwarf Hairgrass and Echinodorus Tenellus in low light?

Monte Carlo, yes but agonizingly slow, can't realy say growing, its more surviving.
Dwarf Hair grass, yes simmular to Monte carlo but a bit better.

Echinodorus Tenellus, tricky question, several varieties roam around in the trade with the same name. E. tenellus tenellus the South American var. and the E. tenellus parvulum the North American var. (sometimes Broadleaf is added to the name). The nursery i get this plant from definitively sells the parvullum but claims it is the south american var. So there is still some confusion going on at the nurseries. The South American variety is a tad more demanding than the North American variety. The answer could be yes and no.

But than again as asked above.. What is low light to you?. Light intensity at substrate level can shift a great deal with tank dimensions and water clarity.

Less light demanding plants than the one you named are Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and Sagittaria subulata. :)

Last edited:
Hi
I think this is a test and see but lots of choices in plant selection. the light is a again I think knowing your tank and plants well enough to deal with situations that may appear, not enough of one thing and more of another. I've tested a few with a 13w 6400k CFL and montevientis, crenata, pogo erectus and most rotalas but to name a few grow very well, no ferts. No co2 25 % wc pw and good old fish waste and Good husbandry.j

Back