• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Light, Low CO2 Nano plants?

Hi Neil,
C. wendetii isn't really a small plant. It's just sold by vendors as small specimens. Of course in a low tech it won't grow as fast so it'll stay small longer but ultimately can become Andre The Giant if you let it.

Cheers,

Cheers again Clive :thumbup: I'll stay clear of that one then and keep looking.

Just trying to get together a plant list of bits I like, but suited to a 15litre low-tech nano - bit of a tall order.

My list so far;
mini pellia
anubias 'bonsai'
moss
dwarf hairgrass
hairgrass
marsilea hirsuta

Well, guess what? In "Oyama" Oliver is using some wendetii brown it looks like to me. The thing is, if you keep it pruned then it will stay whatever size you allow it and it looks like this is what he is doing there. But what about Crypt parvula? This is a very small crypt.
Even C. beckettii ''petchii'' is a lovely small crypt more well suited to smaller tanks as there is never the threat of a thyroid problem.

Cheers,

That wendtii 'brown' looks real nice in Oliver's tank but was still worried about the size; the 'brown' colouring is meant to develop on older leaves, but surely older = bigger even if you did prune? The parva looks a bit weeny looking to me :lol: although the size is good. May be able to make it work with the plant scheme though. Food for thought though, cheers :thumbup:

Any other recommendations I could look into? 8)

NeilW said:
That wendtii 'brown' looks real nice in Oliver's tank but was still worried about the size; the 'brown' colouring is meant to develop on older leaves, but surely older = bigger even if you did prune?
Well...I mean, first of all it might take ages to get big in a non CO2 tank remember. Then you can always pull it up and replant a smaller section. The brown develops within a few weeks really. In the beginning when it's first submersed it's a brownish/greenish then yeah I guess it goes more brown as it adapts. I reckon it's worth a try mate.
NeilW said:
The parva looks a bit weeny looking to me :lol: although the size is good. May be able to make it work with the plant scheme though. Food for thought though, cheers :thumbup:
Hahaaaa, well what do you expect for a nano? That's kind of a girly-man tank anyway so it's only fitting. You get what you deserve I reckon. :p

NeilW said:
Any other recommendations I could look into? 8)
How about Didiplis diandra or Proserpinaca palustris? These are not easy though. Hygrophila corymbosa ''Compact'', any of the Hydrocotyles, Echinodorus tenellus, Staurogyne or even Bacopa australis are pretty good prospects.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Well...I mean, first of all it might take ages to get big in a non CO2 tank remember. Then you can always pull it up and replant a smaller section. The brown develops within a few weeks really. In the beginning when it's first submersed it's a brownish/greenish then yeah I guess it goes more brown as it adapts. I reckon it's worth a try mate.
I'll get one pot in my next plant order and see how I get on with it :thumbup:
ceg4048 said:
Hahaaaa, well what do you expect for a nano? That's kind of a girly-man tank anyway so it's only fitting. You get what you deserve I reckon. :p
girly-man tank indeed, but your forgetting that only 'real' men can wear pink :lol: :p Went to a shop down the road from me and got two pots of girly-weeny parva today :lol:

I'll have a gander at all those plant suggestions, cheers again Clive!

Here we go Clive, from the man himself;

Different Cryptos: Affinis, petchii, wendtii tropica, parva, balansae green
Ranuculus sp.
Staurogyne sp.
Marsilea sp.
Eleocharis parvula
Microsorum narrow

Best wishes,

Oliver

:thumbup:
looked up 'Ranuculus sp.' and its a form of buttercup :? Ranunculus inundatus

Can't argue with that mate. So you see? Even my man Oliver is not ashamed to use parva - though I'm pretty sure you'll never see it guest starring in any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie... :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Back