• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Light Plants For Nano RCS Tank ?

Kristoph91

My girlfriend bought me the Aquael "Shrimp Set 30" recently, and i have the Fluval "Shrimp Substrate" in it, and a few RCS.

The light is 11w and it came with the tank, along with a sponge filter and heater. The tanks volume is 30L so i know the lighting is not very good at all, i think its something like 0.27 Watts/Litre.
I'm Just wondering what plants would grow successfully in it, I already have two small java ferns in it (latin name unknown) i was planning on doing java moss on driftwood and Anubias Nana aswell, but has anyone else got any better ideas?
(If needed i will be able to get another 11w aquael lamp from a friend.)

Its not L its G you measure it in if im correct there is 4.5L per gallon so 30/4.5 = 6.6G then 11W/6.6G = 1.6WPG im going to have to say that is still low-medium lighting though, Java fern/Anubias nana/vallis/dwarf sag and many other plant will do great in that lighting

Sorry, Newbie here!. Thanks for the advice mitchell. If i changed it to two 11w bulbs do i have much more choice in the plants ?

if you add another 11W light you would be able to grow pretty much any plant you wanted as long as you added CO2. If not id stick to what you have at the moment or you will just end up with a tank made of algae.

im 15 :D, DIY yeast is good but you will need a NANO co2 diffuser.

Haha. well experience and knowledge doesn't always necessarily come with age, as you prove. Yeah, Ill ebay for that anyway. Thanks for the advice!

No problem, you should be able to find one pretty easy, im sure theres some for sale (2 diffusers and 2 suction cups) on ebay for like £5

Back