• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low light stems

mr. luke

Any recommendations for low light stems?
Currently at 0.3 WPG over a 70cm depth.
Cabomba and ludwigia repens are doing very well for me.
Low tech of course.

Tho Pogestemon erectus is labled as medium, i can not say anything else then it does extremely good in low tech recieving only natural daylight from above at 35 cm depth. It takes time, grows slow, but it holds on and even propagates from the substrate up. And this is extremely low tech, pH 8,2 - 8,4, kH 6, this is about 3x no co2, but it's still a relatively juvenile tank. I'm waiting for the pH to go down naturaly.. So i'm actualy bafled myself that i'm able to grow this plant in these conditions. But it does good.. :)

The P. Stellatus died, the 2 Hygrophila's i tried also and the Limnophila aromatica also didn't make it.

I've never kept a tank as deep as yours, but if your ludwigia is doing alright, then I've had excellent success with Hygrophila polysperma in a very lean low tech, and Bacopa monnieri may also cope well - though it will probably be a slow burner.

I've had monte carlo in the tank before that did well. Very slow as you would imagine but healthy and compact.
I can increase light if needs be but I like slow and healthy growth. Easy to manage rather than weekly trims :)

How about HM? I have seen it doing well in low tech. Loves high tech of course.

Ludwigia pallustris
Ludwigia repens

^ slower growers than hygro and a touch of red if you keep them healthy.

Back