• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Low tech bowl(s) of joy

aec34

Here’s my low tech bowl. Late night purchase of clay spawning dome installed today - I just really like the shape and I’m unbelievably pleased with how it looks. (Lockdown, eh?!)

DC704A41-9FDF-4194-8932-AB3055FA7862.jpeg

Garden soil + building sand mix, capped with proper aquarium gravel. Hygrophilia polysperma in the back + hydrocotyle trimming been in for about 3 weeks, plus mini hairgrass added today (thanks @castle!) Bunged some salvinia in too since it’s coming out my ears.
Weekly big water change, half coming from my older tank.
Planning on moving some shrimp in at some point. Well chuffed so far :)

aec34

Bowl and light both from eBay - I’ve been trying to buy used stuff where possible.
Bowl holds about 4 litres, probably a bit under that with thick substrate. The glass is pretty thin but does the job.
Light is a usb flexible neck reading lamp, with a clip (hence the little wooden thing to the right just out of shot). Think the light was about £15.

aec34

Second soil + light only tank experiment, set up for about 10 days. Plastic cube and light both secondhand from eBay, cube is about 20cm and holds about 6 litres.
Treated myself to a beautiful - but turns out quite big! - echinodorus ozelot (thanks Aquarium Gardens!), but otherwise trimmings from my other tanks plus donations from @dcurzon.

F95194B3-BD58-4AF0-9DDF-276ECAE7C64F.jpeg

Twig came off the apple tree in the garden, boiled and scraped. Going a bit sticky, but getting rid of it with water changes.
Hopefully taking it to work in a fortnight.

Last edited:

aec34

Big WC every couple of days for the dinky cube - and echinodorus leaves poking out the top are still looking ok. Cube needs a clean, but is starting to look more settled. Really pleased with the overall effect.
25893D10-DE92-483D-9410-6D63849214D7.jpeg

Bowl now has a few more shrimp from my main tank - and first couple of molts spotted last week :)
AEEA13C7-45CB-43E3-9B40-DDC2FD3C58DB.jpeg

Keep sticking trimmings in both bowls...