• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-tech foreground plants

fishandting

Hi all,

Just a little request for opinions really...

I've got a newly set up low tech 34l tank, which has been up and running for a few weeks now. It's all planted, some are doing well and some are doing.... not so well.

In particular, I bought some lilaeopsis brasiliensis which is slowly turning yellow and dying off, so I'm interested in finding out some recommendations for small, low foreground plants that aren't too demanding. They don't necessarily have to be carpeting plants, but I'm open to those too.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, that's definitely one on the list.

I've heard it can spread and take over a bit, do you have any experience with it?

My sag subulata took a while to get going, but after a few months was doing laps of the tank.
I’ve never managed to grow staurogyne repens successfully - never sure why.
Thanks, I've heard it can do that once established, which is why I'm hesitant.... Looks nice though

Marsilea hirsuta for me worked well in a high tech tank, actually eventually took over and I had to take it out, but didn't do anything at all in a low tech setting.
Yeah I've heard that's the case for quite a few of the foreground/carpeting type plants.

Mine is definitely low tech and would probably be classed as low light too, so maybe it wouldn't work out...

Crypt parva? I like it.
Good shout, thanks.

Crypts seem to be doing ok in my tank so far. I've got usteriana and beckettii in there, which are growing and only suffered from a little bit of the dreaded melt...

Do you find parva to be particularly slow growing? Just been reading about it and some say it grows extremely slowly

Good shout, thanks.

Crypts seem to be doing ok in my tank so far. I've got usteriana and beckettii in there, which are growing and only suffered from a little bit of the dreaded melt...

Do you find parva to be particularly slow growing? Just been reading about it and some say it grows extremely slowly

I have this in my high tech (albeit in shadier areas) and have found it to grow very slowly. Makes it a great detail plant though as it doesn’t take over! 😊

Helanthium tenellum green is fast grower even in low tech once it gets going.
Thanks, good suggestion.

Hi all,

Moss on a mesh - <"Riccia and Java moss carpets. Step-by-Step guide">? It would take a while to get going, but would be low maintenance once established.

cheers Darrel
I might look into this too. At the moment I've got a small stone in the tank with some java moss wrapped in mesh on it. It's supposed to be a sort of moss ball, and hopefully will be one day!

I have this in my high tech (albeit in shadier areas) and have found it to grow very slowly. Makes it a great detail plant though as it doesn’t take over! 😊
Thanks, leaning towards trying the parva in the foreground as it sounds low maintenance and suitable for low tech...

From what I understand of C. parva, it does need a bit more light than typical crypts but should be fine in low tech. I'm having decent success with Eleocharis acicularis in my low techs. Unlikely to develop a lush carpet but it looks good as nice tussocks! That would look god intermingled with the parva.

Back