• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech large set-up HELP?

Simon D

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial/journal of a large-ish (approx 4 footer) low tech set-up? I've done a search and not come up with much. :(

I'm currently running a 2 foot high tech and am encountering algae problems, I know this is due to too much light. I inject CO2, 2 hrs before lights, add 2ml easycarbo daily , dose EI and have about 25 times turnover with an external filter and koralia 1. That's going to be history soon if I can find the right low tech set-up.

I want to use the existing lights (2x 55w T5 power compacts) on a bigger tank , but due to a new baby arriving any day soon, I would like to just get a lower tech planted tank set-up. What size tank would 110w be good for in a low tech set-up?

Money is not an issue (I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, but I'm not doing this on a budget and just want to do it right).

Any suggestions/links?

You're describing the reasons I have recently switched to low-tech, although I'm probably not sufficiently progressed with it to know what works and what doesn't (i.e. probably not much help to you). I only put the plants in yesterday. This taken me some time to get going for one reason or another - not least my indecision about various aspects etc.

I'm using the standard tubes on my 1m (30") tank which equate to just over 1wpg. However, there seems to be variations on the low-tech theme these days so some people use more, dose ferts, etc. Some use filters other not.

I've gone for filtered, standard lighting, soil substrate, lots of fast growing plants, and dosing a fairly standard plant fertiliser instead of going for the over feeding the fish method.

What do you know already about low-tech?

Back