• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech vibrant nano cube

Raten Furlong

Really simple nano cube layout:

Trying to construct so the plants are the focal point (especially the rotala h'ra background)

Been running about 3 months now - no Co2 injection or ferts. Just a simple LED light from eBay.

Decided to keep it temperate to keep ugly equipment in the tank to a minimum to keep the focus on the simple scape.
IMG_2641.jpeg
IMG_2642.jpeg

Pretty happy with how it turned out :)

It's lovely and for no CO2 that's amazing! Please could you post our plant list, well - identify the stems - I'm guessing the carpet is MC and Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis?
Are you dosing liquid carbon? Also how big is the tank, watts of light and flow please?
Sure 🙂

Plants: Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, Monte Carlo, Pogostemon erectus, Rotala H’ra. Also small amounts of Anubias petite & Hygrophila Pinnatifida in between the rocks.

Light: ‘NO. 17’ 11w RGB. (Very cheap yet impressive colour rendition and growth as a result.

For flow I only use a small internal filter. (Eheim pickup 45)

The tank is a 30cm cube (25 litres).

I’m not dosing any ferts/liquid carbon currently.

Really cheap set up - shows you don’t always need expensive equipment to achieve good plant growth!

It's lovely and for no CO2 that's amazing! Please could you post our plant list, well - identify the stems - I'm guessing the carpet is MC and Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis?
Are you dosing liquid carbon? Also how big is the tank, watts of light and flow please?
Sure 🙂

Plants:

Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, Monte Carlo, Pogostemon erectus, Rotala H’ra. Also small amounts of Anubias petite & Hygrophila Pinnatifida in between the rocks.

Light: ‘NO. 17’ 11w RGB. (Very cheap yet impressive colour rendition and growth as a result.

For flow I only use a small internal filter. (Eheim pickup 45)

Not that one- It’s this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?...Y4L5M6TCNWA&ref_=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Thanks @Raten Furlong. That looks like a Satellite clone and is feature packed for that price!! Great for 30cm depth or less.

Your tank looks schmick btw.

Hello,

Really Amazing tank, congrat, I couldn't imagine to reach such deep red without CO2!
I have a similar nano tank : no fert, no CO2, ADA aquasoil but no filter. My light is an ONF flat nano. Plants are fine but my rotala H'ra (from tropica) doesn't reach that red.
What's your lighting duration ? Do you do water changes? Or do you have another tip to get it red?
Thx

Hello,

Really Amazing tank, congrat, I couldn't imagine to reach such deep red without CO2!
I have a similar nano tank : no fert, no CO2, ADA aquasoil but no filter. My light is an ONF flat nano. Plants are fine but my rotala H'ra (from tropica) doesn't reach that red.
What's your lighting duration ? Do you do water changes? Or do you have another tip to get it red?
Thx
Hi mate - Thanks !

Speaking from personal experience with this tank, having the light barely an inch above the surface I think is the reason why the Rotala has gone so red - the light being so close to the Rotala for sure helps.

I have my lights on for 9 hours each day & do a water change roughly every 10-14 days.

Do you know if the water you get from your tap is soft or hard? I have very soft water where I live and this is known to help massively with plant growth (because of more background levels of Co2 being available without Co2 injection).

Hi mate - Thanks !

Speaking from personal experience with this tank, having the light barely an inch above the surface I think is the reason why the Rotala has gone so red - the light being so close to the Rotala for sure helps.

I have my lights on for 9 hours each day & do a water change roughly every 10-14 days.

Do you know if the water you get from your tap is soft or hard? I have very soft water where I live and this is known to help massively with plant growth (because of more background levels of Co2 being available without Co2 injection).
Do you know the gh and kh of your water?

Thanks ! My tap water is not very soft but I mix it with RO water (to reach GH = 5-6).
I'll try to set the light closer to the plants.
Also maybe I should split the stems because it's currently really bushy.

Back