• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech, zero skill

Hi @mrhoyo

It is not unusual for Cyanobacteria (aka BGA) to grow exactly as your photo shows. That's because Cyano need iron and this is more plentiful where there is less oxygen available - such as in the substrate. But, Cyano also needs light and, hey presto, it gets just that where light falls on the tank. Using a pipette, I inject a few drops of Easy-Life Blue Exit into the affected area of the substrate. This is usually effective in killing off the Cyano. Some people simply apply suitable tape to the outside of an aquarium to block the light but it's a bit of an eyesore.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

JPC
I did manage to sort the BGA a while ago, after faffing with liquid carbon in a syringe for a few weeks I just turned the light off instead and it buggered off pretty quickly.
I started using CO2 about a year ago and that solved all my algae issues and the plants went mental. It ran out a couple of months ago and I haven't replaced yet due to the impending tank move. I'm assuming that's why I now have loads of BBA at the minute. We'll see when I get it moved.

Well, that was a nightmare.
I'd let everything get so overgrown the fish were able to hide from me so plan B was to try moving the tank with just a bit of water in. Unfortunately this didn't work as the fish were in and out of water depending on my movements so on to plan C.
All plants out, then fish, then empty most of the substrate and re-do everything once moved.
I'll check everything later once the lights are on but, as of last night, the only livestock casualty was a blue cherry shrimp that took a leap from somewhere and got underfoot.

The current state. Basically trimmed all the plants down except epiphytes, bunged everything in and put a bit of leftover sand at the front.
Corydoras seem happy.
IMG-20220103-WA0001.jpg

Looks a bit different now but I haven't changed much. Filter moved to the side and some stem plants stuck in. Put them in a few spots to see if they preferred certain conditions. Turns out I'm pretty good at algae. Not sure what's causing it, most of the plants look pretty healthy to me.
I'm also still cack at photos.
20220825_182502.jpg

20220825_182448.jpg
20220825_182502.jpg
20220825_182527.jpg
20220825_182556.jpg
20220825_182608.jpg
20220825_182603.jpg
20220825_182611.jpg

Tank looks really lush, good to see you again :wave:
Nice stems, aromatica something? What is that red/pink Ludwigia?
Aromatica mini
Ludwigia ovalis
Got them and some Rotala pearl when I bought some Rotala wallichii on here. The Rotalas aren't doing half as well as the others.

I think I have an extra ember tetra. I can't decide whether it's a small adult and I thought it had died before or they've bred and I haven't noticed until it got sub adult size 🤔

Any idea why my stems have decided to go palm tree style?
I'm going with it being nutrients.
Dosing 15ml macro and 15ml micro APF EI a week, tank is 70l.

I'm going with it being nutrients.
Dosing 15ml macro and 15ml micro APF EI a week, tank is 70l.
That would be my guess as well, mobile nutrient(s). What ppm does your fertilizer additions give per week?
Has the plant mass increased, and did you increase the fertilizer addition to go with it?
If you think the plants can handle it I would give the whole tank a trim, a bit less plants will mean less competition for whatever is lacking too. If the oldest leaves are the biggest problem like it appears then I would be looking at carbon and nitrogen (nitrate) just because the plants need the most of them.
They look fairly pale all over so if it was me I would increase the ferts and give em a trim and see how that works :thumbup:

That would be my guess as well, mobile nutrient(s). What ppm does your fertilizer additions give per week?
Has the plant mass increased, and did you increase the fertilizer addition to go with it?
If you think the plants can handle it I would give the whole tank a trim, a bit less plants will mean less competition for whatever is lacking too. If the oldest leaves are the biggest problem like it appears then I would be looking at carbon and nitrogen (nitrate) just because the plants need the most of them.
They look fairly pale all over so if it was me I would increase the ferts and give em a trim and see how that works :thumbup:
I haven't done the maths yet but I've pretty much doubled what I was dosing and can already see new growth so hopefully that's fixed it.

Back