• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lower pH with vinegar

mafoo

My CRS tank's pH is still over 7 despite having colombo and 100% RO. I think the culprit is the landscape rock i had in it for a about 3 months when i first set up up a few years ago. Ive tried kapta leaves but its still over 7.

I was wondering if distilled vinegar would be a safe option to lower the pH of the tank?

I'm not sure Nath. I can't keep pH down with syriu in the water.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure Nath. I can't keep pH down with syriu in the water.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hey,
Yeah Ali, but i think, or it appears to me that mafoo was stating he had had landscape in there a while ago. Not currently ;)

Hi all,
I'd agree with "EnderUK" and I really wouldn't recommend vinegar (although "100% distilled" (CH3CO2H(aq)), would be the one to use) or any other acid really. If you were keen on a weak acid, you could use citric acid (HOC(COOH)(CH2COOH)2), Wilkinson's sell it for home brew £1 for 50g, and it may act as a carbon supplement. It is a chelator, and it reduces TDS a bit.

I think the source of the buffering is the "Columbo florabase", it will have anion exchange capacity (AEC) (as well as CEC), and the ion exchange sites probably have a lot of HCO3-, Ca++ ions etc.. I'd try not re-mineralising the RO for a while and see what happens to the TDS and pH in the tank.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I'd agree with "EnderUK" and I really wouldn't recommend vinegar (although "100% distilled" (CH3CO2H(aq)), would be the one to use) or any other acid really. If you were keen on a weak acid, you could use citric acid (HOC(COOH)(CH2COOH)2), Wilkinson's sell it for home brew £1 for 50g, and it may act as a carbon supplement. It is a chelator, and it reduces TDS a bit.

I think the source of the buffering is the "Columbo florabase", it will have anion exchange capacity (AEC) (as well as CEC), and the ion exchange sites probably have a lot of HCO3-, Ca++ ions etc.. I'd try not re-mineralising the RO for a while and see what happens to the TDS and pH in the tank.

cheers Darrel

So i put the RO in with half the minerals in (up to a tds of 80) on a 20% water change. pH went up to 8, all but 2 of the 10 CRS died. :meh:

Last edited:
Hi all,
So i put the RO in with half the minerals in (up to a tds of 80) on a 20% water change. pH went up to 8, all but 2 of the 10 CRS died. :meh:
Sorry to hear that. I'm really not sure at all why.

My tanks run at about 60- 80 ppm TDS, mainly because that is about what our rain water arrives at. I usually ignore pH because as you get towards 0ppm TDS pH becomes more and more unstable. This is because pH is a ratio of the H+ ion donors and H+ ion acceptors, and as you move towards pure H2O you have smaller a small total amount of ions, so small changes in chemistry cause large changes in ratio and pH.

I'd be tempted to add some more dead leaves, or a chelator like EDTA, both of which would complex any heavy metal ions that might be present.

cheers Darrel

So after the remaining 2 crs snuffed it, i did the sensible thing and drained the tank and went and removed all the substrate. I put in florabase topped with their 'shrimp safe' black microgravel. I've conditioned the water with some blackwater extract / tropol, kapta leaves and after a month the ph has stabalised at 6.5.

I've had some cherry shrimp in there to test it out and they've been doing fine so i think it might be time to re-stock it.

Back