lower water levels for comps? legal?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Mark Evans, 6 Nov 2010.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

My question is, does lowering the water level for images for competitions such as IAPLC breach rules?

This image, is a snap of my tank with the water about 15cm lower. It suits the tank much better, but does it comply to rules?

I believe, reflections can play a huge role in a final image.

lower-water.jpg

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I cant honestly say I know, but quite frankly, you cant tell you have anyway, so I wouldn't worry! :lol: given the lengths some of the top aquascapers go to when taking photos, reducing the water level is the least of your worries.

Sam

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

yeah i guess.

But stating a tank is lets say, 120 x 45 x 45 but the pic shows 120 x 45 x 30 it's not the whole truth.

On the other hand, there is plenty of rule bending on IAPLC, so i guess this is a minor issue.

Maybe others have views on the matter?

4. Nelson

Nelson Member

i'd just say its 120 x 45 x 30.i'm sure not everyone tells the truth on their application ;) .

5. Or just say you have 15cm of substrate :p

6. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

I'd just go with it Mark ! Technically youre images are not meant to be cropped but if you place black out cards around the tank to frame it at the height of YOUR water level when you take the shots who would know how tall the tank is ?

As has been said, the rules are bent to suit scapes so I wouldnt worry about it at all - just get the look you want :D

Tony

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

it'd just feel wrong to state one thing knowing it's something else. :D

vallid point Tony.

I look at from the perspective, ' i wanted to create something in a 45cm tall tank, wasn't good enough, but oooo, look! it works if i lower the water level.' down marked for not having the 'vision' in the first place.

part of learning i guess.

I reckon this is the answer...

great thinking. :thumbup:

8. Garuf

Garuf Member

I believe it to be legal, Planter submitted a tank to some comps a few years back that was half full, it placed very highly too.

9. flygja

flygja Member

That's a pretty good idea, legal or not. Makes my rocks look bigger!