• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lowering tank pH?

Herrwibi

So I've noticed my ph is beginning to creep up since I've done a water change .

From my understanding shouldn't surface agitation cause the pH to lower or is it because the gas exchange from the sponge filter would drive the H up due to the co2 in the water being displaced?

I have a new filter on its way but I'm wondering is there anything I can do in the mean time apart from doing water changes ?

Last edited:
What is the pH of the tank and why are you concerned about it rising?

The pH was around 7.0/7.2 after a water change . It's currently around 7.8.

I have crystal red shrimp which I recently got so I'm worried of the pH getting to high .

Hi all,
From my understanding shouldn't surface agitation cause the pH to lower or is it because the gas exchange from the sponge filter would drive the H up due to the co2 in the water being displaced?
If you have more dissolved oxygen in the water column pH will rise. If your plant mass is growing? ("actively photosynthesising") pH may rise during the day.
I've been surveying, and doing some water quality work, some of <"Bristol's pond and rivers"> over the last couple of weeks. I had an interesting one today. I won't tell you the location, or context, but it was a pond and the water sample had a dissolved oxygen level of 180% (~20oC, 18mg/L DO) and a pH value of pH 10.5.
......and this is the pond.
0dea2-canfordpark001.jpg
If you have more CO2 dissolved in the water, your pH will drop (this is how a <"drop checker"> works).

I wouldn't agonise too long over the pH, it isn't a <"very useful measurement in soft water">. I'd just use the conductivity (TDS) level.

cheers Darrel

Back