• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LP's - Shrimp Tank, Shrimps added Page 4

L_Plates

Hello Everyone, I decided the best way to stop me messing around with my main community tank (as it needs to be left to grow in) would be to start a new project.

I decided on giving a shrimp tank a go, i'm still new to all aspects on Fishkeeping but i believe the only way to learn is to get stuck right in.

I managed to find a 27l tank on ebay brand new and nice and cheap so i snapped it up and the project started there.

Tank Specifics
Tank: Coopet Cube 27 Litre - Shrimp Tank
Dimensions: 30x30x30
Lighting: 11w
Filter: Coopet 240lph ( came with the tank )

Hardscape
Substrate: Colombo Flora Base Black
Rock: Mini Landscaping Rock from Aquaessentials
Wood: Manzanita Wood

Today my Substrate, Rock and Wood arrived 2 days late but never mind at least i can get started at last !

hardscape.jpg

This is the first time i have ever tried to really take care in the placement of wood and rock and all i can say is it is not as easy as people make it look !

I have used about 4 litres of Flora Base creating a gradual slope up to the top left of the tank. Then i started to play around with the wood and rock at about 19:00 hours. I finally stopped at 21:15 hours. Where did the time go !

Like i say this is the first time i have done anything like this so i hope you are not expecting anything jaw dropping, heh. Ok so here are a few snaps. Please note the background will be getting replaced.

Front View
scape1.jpg

Front View again but slightly higher
scape2.jpg

Side View
scape3.jpg

Side View again to show room at the back for plants
scape4.jpg

Plants
I am currently undecided on how i will be planting this tank. For the front i want a carpet and i am torn between HC carpet or trying a moss carpet using Fissidens Fontanus.

For around the rocks and between the wood i have been looking into using, Java Fern and Staurogyne Repens. Also i would like a red plant of some sort to add a little colour variation and i may add some moss to the wood aswell.

So that is where i am at on this tank. I will leave the layout for a few days and see if i feel the need to move, add or scrap the idea and start a new.

Thanks for reading and please all ideas, criticisms are very welcome.

LP

Re: LP's - Shrimp Tank

Looks nice, what shrimp are you going for?

I would suggest lots of moss - Shrimp love moss for picking bits of food from, and it gives the babies somewhere safe to hide.

Oh and just a warning about the light on that tank - they have been re-called as they don't meet UK specs. If you want to return it to a Pets at Home they should send you a new light.

Tom

I think i will be getting Crystal Reds, love the colour of them against the green of plants.

About the light, i never knew that. In what way does it not met the regs do you know ?

Cheers, LP

Another little warning about the filter this time.

You should check out the P@H thread here if you havent already. and also HotWeldFire's journal.

Both those threads warn that the filter is very badly constructed, having a number of "leaks" where the filter draws water from places other than the intake grill by the media. a few people have found that the filter has ingested their livestock.

I dismantled mine, including removing the flow adjuster, and plugged the leaks i could find with aquarium silicone. The result, is not fantastic, but adequate if there isnt much bioload.

cheebs said:
Another little warning about the filter this time.

You should check out the P@H thread here if you havent already. and also HotWeldFire's journal.

Both those threads warn that the filter is very badly constructed, having a number of "leaks" where the filter draws water from places other than the intake grill by the media. a few people have found that the filter has ingested their livestock.

I dismantled mine, including removing the flow adjuster, and plugged the leaks i could find with aquarium silicone. The result, is not fantastic, but adequate if there isnt much bioload.

Thanks Cheebs i will have a good read of the threads.

LP

spyder said:
Looking good. This layout is quite popular in these little cubes.

I ditched the internal in favour of a hob for my cherry cube.

Good luck with it.

Which one did you get mate ?

LP

I have changed the rock out in front of the wood to a smaller stone as it was mentioned that it takes the eye of the wood with it being rather big.

Look better or worse ?

tank4.jpg

Cheers
LP

Ok so afer a little bit of advice from people across various places i have tried to put this into practice so what have i done, well ....

1. Smashed up some of rock into smaller pieces, which was harder than i thought. You don just have to hit it, you have to HIT it.

2. Moved the whole hardscape closer to the top corner as Ianho suggested it may look better.

3. Tried to dig the rocks into the substrate a little more to make it feel more natural.

So what did i manage to come up with ?

Well here we go ...

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank7.jpg

I will leave my thoughts of the layout till later as i would love to hear what you guys & gals think.

Cheers
LP

LP's - Shrimp Tank

I actually preferred your first attempt, it just needed a bit of refining and blending with the substrate. Maybe moving back a left a little, not a lot :) Personally your last one looks a bit lob sided and doesn't make full use of the space in the tank. I guess it all depends on how your planting it as well.

I was planning on a nice carpet area of moss or hc still yet undecided. So yeh i suppose i always wanted a fair bit of space.

Need to start looking into plants.

LP

Ok so i have been thinking about plants. As i cannot decide between HC and Moss i thought i may give both a go.

Here is a ROUGH sketch of a possible plat layout.

All ideas and tips welcome as always.

plants.jpg

Cheers
LP

I have decided to move the moss over to the left hand front corner.

plants2.jpg

Cheers
LP

It looks very similar to what I am planning! I even have the same plants. Your rocks are much nicer than mine though, I just have a few slate offcuts I had lying around.

Looks very nice.

Just an observasion, but maybe have a slightly bigger rock or 2, or pile of them close to the base of the wood. I think the the plants will soon cover the rocks at that size / positioning.

I had thought about that and have a few rocks on standby so if needed they can be added in easily enough when i start planting. I suppose you get a better feel for the layout when the plants start going in ?

Cheers
LP

Good evening Everyone, well today was the day. My new filter and Plants all arrived today ready for when i got home.

Plants
Fissidens Fontanus
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Staurogyne Repens x 2
Alternanthera Rosaefolia Mini
Hemianthus Callitrichoides x 4

So after putting my daughter to bed i could make a start !

So i get the plants unpacked and try to figure out how to go about it.

plants-1.jpg

I can honestly say getting the Hemianthus Callitrichoides ready for planting was harder than i thought it would be. It is such a delicate plant and easy to break !

I am not going to go into to much detail as i know i can waffle on so here are some photos on the tank after i had finished.

Top view showing the Hob Filter
top.jpg

<b>Full tank Shot ( Sort Off )</b>
done1.jpg

Closer Shot
carpet.jpg

And Another
done.jpg

I have had to place a little piece of slate on the wood until it stops trying to float away, im sure you spotted it :)

I am waiting on more Fissidens arriving next week to fill out the area on the left.

All comments are very welcome as always :good:

Finally i would like to thank everyone who has taken part in in this journal and helped me out along the way i really do appreciate it.

Cheers peeps,
LP

Back