• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LP's - Shrimp Tank, Shrimps added Page 4

Re: LP's - Shrimp Tank

Sorry, I somehow missed this until now. I also think your first layout was better but the current one is also very nicer. Only issue for me is are you injecting co2? If not then you'll be lucky to get the hc to grow.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Re: LP's - Shrimp Tank

Hello mate, currently i will be dosing excel daily. I am waiting on my regulator coming back from germany then i will more than likely be going to pressurized.

LP

Re: LP's - Shrimp Tank, Now Planted Page 5

Cheers Spill, i have been following your Journal as well. Tanks are similar yet different :D

LP

Looking good. :thumbup:

Will be interesting to see how the HC gets on with excel.

Reminds me I must snap my cube and update but it's kinda slow going atm.

Good luck with it. Oh and when are you introducing the cherry gang? :D

I am going to wait till the substrate settles and the ammonia leaching out subsides. Daily water changes to help combat this so possibly a week or two.

Gives me time to source some shrimp.

LP

Yeh i am, some people say they never noticed a spike while using flora base other said they did. If i had added my mature media i am sure i would not notice but i have yet to add this to my filter.

I did a ammonia test last night and it was around 2ppm ammonia. I will be doing 40-50%water changes for the next week and see how it goes.

Once i am happy that the leaching has slowed to near on nothing i will order the shrimp. Then the night before they arrive i will add my media after another water change.

LP

Re: LP's - Shrimp Tank, Now Planted Page 2

Evening Everyone,

There is not really any difference or changes to the tank since the last update.

The FloraBase substrate has been leeching ammonia as expected so i have been doing 50% water changes everyday.

The Alternanthera Rosaefolia Mini has started to melt again this is expected and i will wait till i start to see new growth from the plant before i trim it right back and replant. Hopefully when i do this it will keep its red colour a little more.

The HC i feel is on the verge of melting also, i am hoping it does pull through and starts to send out runners.

So my daily routine is as follows:-

• 50% Water Change
  • Add 1ml Flourish Excel
  • Add 5ml Ferts (EI)

waterchange1.jpg

waterchange2.jpg

Not really much of an update i agree but good routines and patience is needed. In a couple of weeks i am hoping i will be getting closer to ordering some shrimp :)

Cheers, LP

are you injecting co2 or just using seachem carbon fertiliser?

Just liquid carbon at the moment. I am waiting on my replacement regulator arriving from Germany then i think i will be switching over to pressurized.

LP

Good evening all, today i traveled to a local breeder to pick up 10 Crystal Red Shrimp.

I went for 10 A Grade as i did not want to spend to much money on a higher grade until i know everything is stable in the tank.

I have been monitoring the Ammonia leves for the past week and a half and for the past 3 days i have had 0 readings without any mature media in the filter. This was telling me that the FloraBase substrate has stopped leeching the toxin.

So this morning i did another 50% water change, added some mature media from my main tanks filter and then set off to get the shrimp.

So enough of me babbling on here are a few photos and a short video.

Photos
FTS-shrimp.jpg

shrimp.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

shrimp3.jpg

shrimp4.jpg

Video

The shrimp are not active in the video as they are grazing on the food i gave them 10 minutes before. There are 6 larger shrimp one with eggs :) and 4 juvenile shrimp.

More pics over the next few days when they settle in a little more :)

Sorry the snaps are not great, LP

Cheers Spill, how long you think before you get some shrimp ?

LP

Maybe 1-2 weeks yet the Amazonia is still kicking out ammonia. Getting high readings of nitrite now as well. Been looking at the fire red shrimp on aqua essentials :)

Today i added 2 Japonica Shrimp that i picked up from a member of this forum who lives local to me.

Here is a quick photo of one of the Japonica Shrimp

japonica.jpg

LP

Hi lp
hope they have settled in ok it shouldnt be long now before you have little baby ones they are so cute when they are tiny hope to see you again some time
regards ste :thumbup:

Morning Steve, they are doing great. Getting a little more settled each day and moving around more.

I am sure i will be in touch within a few weeks :)

LP

Just a quick update.

The 2 Japonica and 10 RCS seem happy still, no losses which is great news.

The Alternanthera Rosaefolia Mini is nearly out of the water at the back so i will need to trim this within a few days. All the plants seem healthy and growing well. The Hc is looking good as well so far. A few runners are being sent out but nothing on a huge scale.

50% Water change tonight to freshen it up a little.

Ok picture time :)

tank.jpg

stems.jpg

hc.jpg

Cheers LP

Back