• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia mini super red - keeps dying under hi tech

Simon Cole

Greetings everyone,

I have had two attempts at growing ludwigia 'mini super red' from in-vitro in one of my hi tech tanks. Both times the plant would simply turn brown and die off. I have had great success with samples that were put into a low tech tank, but in my hi tech tank I have had no such luck. Anybody got any ideas or similar issues?

Details: Juwel Rio, Tropica soil, iQuatics quad T5 lighting, CO2 Art system [in tank] diffuser, EI dosing, temp 26 degrees C, 6 hour photo-period. I don't know much about the water chemistry, but I've got some testing equipment. I can grow many other plants, but I also lost all of my bucephalandra specimens due to melt at around the same time. I don't mind getting a pH-redox probe, or possibly measuring the ammonia etc. The tank has cycled for about 4 months.

Hi
have U though about sticking it in propagator to gain strenght before planting it.It should grow fairly well emmersed.
26°C is a tad warm for my liking.I prefer my tanks 22 to 24.
Have U noticed if the plant area was getting enough flow before it melted?
All else speck wise sounds good.
Regards Konsa

Hi Konsa,
I did think about getting it started emersed, but I still have it growing well in my lower tech tanks. I've run out of space in my emersed tank :lol: but I will find some room.
You are right about the temperature. The room can get a bit warm so I'll get this down to about 24 C for my third attempt.
There was plenty of flow and a good quantity of carbon dioxide available. I even added a power-head to run at night for the second attempt, thinking that a lack of oxygen could be the problem. It is really odd. All in all I am boggled. I'll get back to you Soggybongo with some pictures. I am just trying to get mentally prepared for a third attempt. I am incredibly grateful for all your advise because I love this plant. It looks stunning, and part of the reason I set up the tank was to showcase all these beautiful plants.

It seems I am experiencing the same thing. By Ludwigia mini super red I suppose you mean Ludwigia palustrus which I think is the one I have. I say I think because when I made the tank no specific name came attached to that plant so it's only deduction.
Anyhow, my lugwigia is not striving contrary to all other plants in the tank. It's turning brown just as you described. Here are some pictures:
IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0238.JPG
The tank is only 2 and half month old but the Ludwigia was initially doing well. It actually started acting up after my second trimming so not too sure what is going on.

I've had two attempts at it high-energy with in vitro and both times the emersed growth has rotted. Last time however, before it rotted it pushed out some new immersed growth which I replanted out in the open to give it a better chance; more flow and light. From those few shoots I've now got quite a lot of very healthy growth, replanted at the back again.

I've had two attempts at it high-energy with in vitro and both times the emersed growth has rotted. Last time however, before it rotted it pushed out some new immersed growth which I replanted out in the open to give it a better chance; more flow and light. From those few shoots I've now got quite a lot of very healthy growth, replanted at the back again.
By "out in the open" you mean more exposed to water flow and light, not emersed rigt?

Back