• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia Repens Rubin

peter.k

Hi all
My new Ludwigia Repens Rubin is growing quite well, however all the stalks are growing shoot. All of the stems developed massive roots. It seems like the plant is looking for more nutrients maybe? I have colombo flora base substrate for 4-5 months. I have got plant 2 weeks ago.Growing healthy even top leaves turning redish
14lkmdv.jpg

2wno6zo.jpg

There is one more thing what is bugging me. I have Finnex FugeRay planted+Aquarium LED Light plus Moonlight 11.9 Total Watt.
Is 11.9 too low for 55L planted aquarium? (AquaOne 40,pressurised CO2, EI dosing, JBLe401 with spraybar on back)
I'm still trying to find balance between light/ferts/Co2. Everything is growing and thx to YOU in different topics I succeeded in my algae battle.

Hi
the growth you are seeing are aerial roots.It's what stem plants do.
You can cut them off if you don't like the look.
Alternatively,trim the stem, below a node that has them,gives a rooted cutting.

Your Ludwigia look very nive and healthy, to me.
Like Stu allready said; aerial roots are very common on stem-plants.
Some do far more of them than others, though - Ludwigia's are among the "worst", to be honest. There tend to be more aerial roots on stems positioned horizontal, especially from laying in surface of tank.
As Stu also said; you can remove them if you want - plant will readily tolerate that.
Re-planting at least some of the off-cut stems inbetween or next to original plant is the way to achieve more dense plant-group.
- enjoy your plant - it obviously like it there...........

thank you all for your help. I'll replant some of them

Mine is like this as well. Have to trim tops every fortnight and the aerial roots are as long if not longer than the Java fern.

This thread is useful because I was wondering why roots were growing out of the stem.

Back