• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lusty Glaze (Inspired by nature)

planter

Last year we took a weekend break in cornwall and visited a place called lusty glaze beach in Newquay. I spent the whole day exploring the pools of water and rock formations left exposed by the low tide. I was in my element, Sea, rock, sand, the landscape was stunning.

009_9.jpg

005_5.jpg

Back in Looe where we were staying we walked along the coast, a real rocky landscape with exposed cornish slate. I couldnt help myself and had to take some rocks. I collected some nice stones and proceeded to bung em in the boot of the car. I was reminded by an elderly lady that I could get in trouble for taking them but somehow I didnt feel as though It was crime watch material So like a kid in a sweet shop I loaded them into the car and we made a fast getaway.

The rock played garden deco for a long time but I still had it in the back of my mind that one day I would use them in a aquascape and try and recreate something like the amazing landscape of lusty glaze. That time arrived recently all of a sudden when I finally decided that the tank I had emptied in my daughters room had stood empty for way too long.

with very little planning I started positioning the rocks and in no time It was starting to resemble a cornish coast.

weekendincornwall.jpg

journalcrop3.jpg

So having been inspired with the hard scape It was time to decide on plants, Ive tried to keep this one simple and have chosen

Hemianthus Calitrichoides
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Eleocharis Acicularis
Cyperus Helferi

Substrate is Red Sea flora base (cant believe more people here are not using this!)
lighting is 4 x 24 watt T5 (arcadia luminaire)
pressurised Co2
Fertilizer is TPN+

its been a couple of weeks since planting and things seem to be going well with plants pearling niceley and growth obvious.

journalcrop1.jpg

I only wish I had helped myself to a few more rocks as I didnt quite have enough and have had to use others to make up the scape. I was concerned that the rocks were different but its done now so I will live with it.

journalcrop2.jpg

Its been a really interesting way to create a scape and the tank really does remind me of a great day. I will keep you posted as the plants grow to complete the tank.

Thanks for reading

Re: Inspired by nature

Tanks looking really sweet mate, especially like the look of the rocks...V V good :D

Hi Planter,that scape looks very much like the photo you took,i like it very much it will be interesting to see how it develops,regards john

Hi Planter,

Is there no stoping you.......how many tanks now? :D

This scape very much reminds me of your other scape "coast", very much your style.
I think when all the plants really bed in and take hold, soften the edges of the rock, this will look lovely.

When first reading your post, getting to the plant list, it all made scense, but then I read cyperus Helfuri,and though euhh? Its a great plant, but to creat a coast line scape it seems out of place. Maybe its the brief you gave that makes me think it might be out of place. It may well work very well, but for me I question if its right for what your trying to achive.
One other little thing, sorry, I really dont mean to be critical. The choice of sand, perhaps a more white sand would of had more contrast?
Other than my what seems nit picking, your scape is great and will develop into another Planter special!
Good work mate, keep them coming!

Graeme Edwards said:
Hi Planter,

Is there no stoping you.......how many tanks now? :D

This scape very much reminds me of your other scape "coast", very much your style.
I think when all the plants really bed in and take hold, soften the edges of the rock, this will look lovely.

When first reading your post, getting to the plant list, it all made scense, but then I read cyperus Helfuri,and though euhh? Its a great plant, but to creat a coast line scape it seems out of place. Maybe its the brief you gave that makes me think it might be out of place. It may well work very well, but for me I question if its right for what your trying to achive.
One other little thing, sorry, I really dont mean to be critical. The choice of sand, perhaps a more white sand would of had more contrast?
Other than my what seems nit picking, your scape is great and will develop into another Planter special!
Good work mate, keep them coming!

ha ha no stopping me at the mo Graeme :D 3 tanks up and running for now.
The whole reason I post here is so you guys can 'nit pick' thats what its all about! if you didnt my scapes wouldnt improve and I would learn nothing.
You know sometimes you look at something for so long you begin to convince yourself that something is right where somebody elses first impression may well point out some obvious faults.
With regard to the Cyperus , I got a bit excited to see this plant as it hasnt been available for while and this is probobly why it was incorporated into this scape, possibly a mistake.. Its difficult to stay disciplined at times and stick to the plan when you are offered loveley plants, But im learning how important it is not to be tempted into adding something simply beacuse you have it or can get it.
The sand was chosen to try and replicate the cornish beech but yeah your right a whiter sand would add more contrast, I may well try this.

This is my first real crack at trying to replicate a scenario I have expierienced myself rather than an aquarium in a book or picture, It adds a whole new level of enjoyment to aquascaping and although I make no claim to having created my own 'style' It is quite satisfying that you should regard it as such.

I can understand the point about the Cyperus, but I think it does add something to the 'scape. Without it I think it would look a bit empty.

I like the idea of hairgrass as well as it resembles the tufty grass you get around sand dunes.

Like it alot.

By the way, I definitely think you should call this 'scape "Lusty Glaze". It's a fantastic name! I keep reading it as Lusty Gaze.....

LondonDragon said:
Love the rock work, look amazing :) congrats
How big is the tank?

Thanks :) the tank is an aquaone aquastyle 620 (62 x 38 x 53cm) and holds 90 litres.

beeky said:
By the way, I definitely think you should call this 'scape "Lusty Glaze". It's a fantastic name! I keep reading it as Lusty Gaze.....

'Lusty Glaze' it is then. I agree great name :) cheers beeky

planter said:
What a difference a week makes :) been away on hols and was pleasantly surprised how things have grown. I think the plants grow quicker when your not looking :lol:
Will post a pic soon
Photos now! ;) hehehe I don't really notice a lot of growth in my tank, then I take the photos for my updates and compare to the week before and then you see what a diffence there really is ;)

planter said:
What a difference a week makes :) been away on hols and was pleasantly surprised how things have grown. I think the plants grow quicker when your not looking :lol:

Will post a pic soon
True, i was away for a week and when i come back it semt as though the hairgrass and completley covered the tank and the moss had really grown out and needed a good trim.

very nice scape and not the usual origami style ;)

I like the way you have used natural looking rock and for me the sand looks cool. White sand makes for a very stark contrast whereas the natural sand doesn't detract from the scene.

I quite like the Cyperus in there. gives a little something different to the tank but as the others say it doesn't fit the theme really. Doesn't really matter unles you are unhappy with it.

Keep it up, I like this one. lol

Andy

SuperColey1 said:
very nice scape and not the usual origami style ;)

I like the way you have used natural looking rock and for me the sand looks cool. White sand makes for a very stark contrast whereas the natural sand doesn't detract from the scene.

I quite like the Cyperus in there. gives a little something different to the tank but as the others say it doesn't fit the theme really. Doesn't really matter unles you are unhappy with it.

Keep it up, I like this one. lol

Andy

Ahh the ancient art of paper folding :D
Thanks for your feedback supercoley. You know I actualy have 2 bags of white sand which I was going to use but looking back at my origional photos of the beach I think the sand im using replicates the scene better. The Cyperus stays for now, I quite like it, but im sure one day I will just decide it has to go.
The Hemianthus is really looking healthy now after a 50 % change and an OD on ferts prior to a week away on holiday (down the COAST :D ). I also added one of those green internal Co2 diffusers (cheers Kipper), the one with the 3 balls in it.. Im really impressed with it the diffusion rate is obviously much better.

Back