• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lusty Glaze (Inspired by nature)

Hi Planter,its starting to fill out nicely i really like it and the rock position is just right in my opinion, well done regards john 8)

The algae on those rocks give it a definate realistic sense of age. I likey.

And I was being humorous typing origami. Doh. some people are so serious. lol

Keep it going Planter. This is starting to look superb.

Andy

REDSTEVEO said:
Hi Planter,

I loikes thes very mach, as they say in Cornwall. Simple, not over complicated. I love the backing and lighting effect. What is it that you are using to create that sort of relaxing pinky purple colour? :D

Steve.

The pinky purple is what comes of setting up tanks in your daughters bedroom! its the colour of the walls!

Since my last post I trimmed the hair grass right back (its grown back again!) and added some 'Lime green Tetras' (I think they could be tank bred gold tetras) Carried out a water change today and took some pics whilst the water level was down. Next tank I do Is definatly going to be long and shallow!
Oh and Ive decided the Cyperus really does have to go.

DSC04518A.jpg

Had fun messing with the pics -

DSC04517a.jpg

Hi Planter,

I like the way you have done the first picture - A real sense of grandure!!

Excellent sense of space and composition again!

swackett said:
Hi Planter,

I like the way you have done the first picture - A real sense of grandure!!

Excellent sense of space and composition again!

Glad you like it.

Been looking on ebay at the prices of SLR cameras. I dont know much about photography (as you can see) but George recomended me a canon EOS 10D. They seem cheap enough (on ebay).
Id love to get some decent final shots of this tank, Might have to collar a mate to bring his fancy camera round
( :) Kippppper????)

The best UK Iwagumi about at the moment mate. Very nice indeed.

planter said:
George recomended me a canon EOS 10D. They seem cheap enough (on ebay).
Firstly, I'm no photography expert...

The 10D is ok for my needs at the moment, but for a few extra ££ I would consider a used 20D or 30D as these are superior. The 10D is really quite 'old' now (released 2003).

There's also nothing wrong with the 300D, 350D, 400D etc. These are 'entry-level' but the performance are almost identical to the 10D, 20D etc. Main differences are the body materials and sizes. The xxxDs are much smaller and plastic, the xxDs are magnesium alloy and more hardy. The xxDs also allow external leads to be plugged in for studio flashes etc. if you ever go that far.

And then there's the Nikon range. The D40x is rated very highly and is a nice entry level.

Sony, Pentax and Olympus are worth a mention too, but the used market will be limited, as these are relative newcomers to the DSLR world.

But you'll likely get the best used deal on a Canon or Nikon, as these have over 90% of the market share, currently.

My biggest tip, whatever body you buy, would be to invest in decent lenses. You can always upgrade your body, but your lenses will stay with you for life.

I hope that makes sense.

George Farmer said:
The best UK Iwagumi about at the moment mate. Very nice indeed.

Cheers George!!

Im truly Gob smacked by that comment :oops:

Thanks for all the advice on cameras, Ive seen the pics your taking - your very modest.
Have to save a few pennies and then seriously consider upgrading from my Compact.

For any one intersted in buying a Compact (for whatever purpose) the camera Ive been using is a SonyCybershot DSCW90 is a great little camera for day to day use!

Great tank, love the rock work, i like the photo of the rock sticking out of the surface a very nice touch indeed ;)
I can see that working nicely in a shallow tank, which seems to be the new craze ;) just takes up more space I guess.

Has George said, the camera market is dominated by Canon and Nikon so always easy to find great second hand bargains.
Been trying to get decent lenses for my Minolta and because there are not that many and they also fit the new Sonys they always cost a fortune. But they are also good cameras. I went for a Minolta because it was during the time they closed their camera market and before Sony snapped them up so got a great deal on the camera and a few lenses, shame I didn't get all the lenses I wanted back then.

Keep us posted ;)

Had a bit of a snail problem so decided to add some pygmy puffers - Carinotetraodon travancoricus
The snails dissapeared so fast I did wonder if they had simply gone into hiding! I cant believe 3 little puffers could have eaten that many snails!! whatever the snails have vanished. I have them in with Amano shrimps (quite big ones), SAE's and some lime green tetras, so far no fin nipping. Cant believe ive never added these to my plant tanks before -

DSC04557JPGcomp.jpg

planter mate, ive just seen your pics! fantastic. and you say i should enter the aga?.... take a look at your own pics my friend, and one should fill in that entry form.... ;)

how do you find the puffer in your setup? disruptive? i need one in my bigger tank. bad snail infestation.

saintly said:
planter mate, ive just seen your pics! fantastic. and you say i should enter the aga?.... take a look at your own pics my friend, and one should fill in that entry form.... ;)

how do you find the puffer in your setup? disruptive? i need one in my bigger tank. bad snail infestation.

The puffers are fine at the Mo :) No trouble at all ! I dont know if this is likeley to change as they mature though?

I put 3 botia Histrionica in my other tank and the snails are no more!
Though you might condsider botia sidthimunki as they dont get as big.

Im not sure If AGA has even started taking entries yet?? will have to check it out. I will have to do something about the cyperus Helferi before I could enter this one though!

Still considering changing the fish , Ive been thinking about embers too!

Cheers fella

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
poor snails :( sniff
sorry snail lovers...

I have to agree with George r.e. the best Iwagumi in the Uk at the moment. the first of those last 2 pics just wins everything for me. I would go as far as it is one of my favourites from the worldwide sites at the mo.

What I think works so well with this pic is that even though you have turned thepic a little you can imagine it being just a section of a much larger tank. The Rocks on the right look like they could continue a lot further up and for once the rocks actually do look like they should be there which is a failing in many other 'easter island' iwagumis.

Congratulations on achieving this. If you have altered that first pic(me thinks you've played with the angle etc) then maybe you can use the original for the ADA/AGA comps. This is a definate for giving the UK a chance at a placing IMO.

Well done and think before posting pics from now (if you know what I mean.) I also think that the Cyperus is part of the effect in this picture and would leave it. or at least take a photo without equipment before removing the Cyperus and then you can compare

Andy

Thanks for your kind words supercoley1.

Ive added some blyxa to this scape since I took those pics and am really tempted to remove the cyperus.
Unfortunatley It wasnt nearly ready for ADA otherwise I would have entered it.

There is a little bit of jiggery pokery going on here as the last 2 tank shots were taken with the water level lowered during a water change. The cyperus which is actually twice as long as it looks is actually proped up and draped over my tweezers which are placed across the top of the tank.

Although the pictures are great I boxed clever with the angles, and cut the rock out so it appeared to be above the glass/top of the tank.

not sure on the rules aga/ada on cropping etc. Im under the impression that only full tank shots are acceptable.

Regardless, all the positive comments really give me confidence in my aquascaping. Thanks

planter said:
not sure on the rules aga/ada on cropping etc. Im under the impression that only full tank shots are acceptable.

ive looked at the aga website and theres nothing in the rules about the photography (not that i can see anyway)but i would gues that only "what you see is what you get" shots are aloud.
you could be making a rod for yout own back by "manipulating" image (not necessaraly photoshop manipulated) . if you change one you have to change all the others to look the same.

i see what youve done, shooting while the tank was partly empty (makes you wish your tank was not as tall ;) )i do that all the time in my big tank (thats 70cm tall)

plantrer, the best thing for image trickery is the choice of lens. i dont know if your still thinking of buying an SLR?

George Farmer said:
My biggest tip, whatever body you buy, would be to invest in decent lenses. You can always upgrade your body, but your lenses will stay with you for life.

he couldnt be more right.if you do get an SLR, buy the best you can afford glass! if you dont want to buy the camera manufactorer glass, go with the likes of sigma.

ive started to photograph my tank using different lenses as follows.

15-30mm wide for real drama

24-70mm for your typical shot

70-300mm do give a sense of enclosure.

next i'll experiment with angles of shot next,then backgrounds and lighting this is where you'll impress. look at any amano work and he's got it nailed!

the one thing this site has done, is its got me inspired again!

hope this helps planter.

Thanks for the advice saintly .... I am still consider buying an SLR but funds are all tied up at the moment.... still, birthday coming up :)

Got up early today and removed the cyperus. The tank clouded up niceley, fortunatley I had Water preapred so carried out mahoosive WC and re dosed TPN+.

Will post a pic later as tank is still a little murky.

Back