• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lusty Glaze (Inspired by nature)

Hi Planter,
I just thought I'd let you know that with the little puffs, you have to keep feeding them snails to trim down their beaks otherwise if they get overgrown, they cannot eat and die. Luckily you don't have the colomesus asellus ones, which I had and you had to anaethetise them and actually trim their teeth - nightmare! I have a little plastic tank with some moss balls that sits on my window with snails in and they breed like mad - there isn't a filter. I just water change 1 a week, 100%
I now have 10, soon to be 15 dwarf puffs in my planted tank with otos and I did have a couple of small plecs in their. Mine have all been fine, but I think as long as there is plenty to search for in the tank, it'll help to even out their aggression. Each puffer is completely different, so you can only hope for the best!
I also just wanted to say that the photo you showed, the puff has a slightly concave belly. This would indicated that he has internal parasites. Nothing to worry about, most of them do because they are all wild caught, but it can kill them. You need to get a wormer which you can get at aqua essentials, google or any shop for discus. Just dose it once a week for a few weeks and soon they'll have fat little bellies and will be much happier.
Do you know how many females or males you have as well?

lstratton said:
Hi Planter,
I just thought I'd let you know that with the little puffs, you have to keep feeding them snails to trim down their beaks otherwise if they get overgrown, they cannot eat and die. Luckily you don't have the colomesus asellus ones, which I had and you had to anaethetise them and actually trim their teeth - nightmare! I have a little plastic tank with some moss balls that sits on my window with snails in and they breed like mad - there isn't a filter. I just water change 1 a week, 100%
I now have 10, soon to be 15 dwarf puffs in my planted tank with otos and I did have a couple of small plecs in their. Mine have all been fine, but I think as long as there is plenty to search for in the tank, it'll help to even out their aggression. Each puffer is completely different, so you can only hope for the best!
I also just wanted to say that the photo you showed, the puff has a slightly concave belly. This would indicated that he has internal parasites. Nothing to worry about, most of them do because they are all wild caught, but it can kill them. You need to get a wormer which you can get at aqua essentials, google or any shop for discus. Just dose it once a week for a few weeks and soon they'll have fat little bellies and will be much happier.
Do you know how many females or males you have as well?

Thanks,

having trouble sexing them as they are so young. As I understand it the males have a line under the belly and the females are rounder.

I have plenty of snails to hand so no probs there and I have considered worming them with wormer plus but I have Amano shrimps. The packaging does suggest safe with plants but i cant help worrying that it may affect water chemistry in some other way?

Anyone?

To get my journal back on track ive started a new thread to deal with the wormer plus thing, please post any advice/comments here... Thanks -

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2174

saintly said:
ive come to try my new sig planter :D

when do we get to see the new pics then mate?

Thought id keep hold of them for a while for the AGA . Rules say only unpublished work can be entered :(
The tank looks nice in the pics but there nowhere near as good as yours. Just been to your thread, Those pictures are top notch mate.

Lovin the Sig :D

It's funny,but reading the jornal beforehand,seeing the pictures of where your inspiration came from,I guess you could almost get an emotional attachment to the tank.I suppose the judges are looking on without seeing any of this.
I wonder,is it allowed,the same way some folks included photos of setting up,if you drew inspiration from a certain scene,to include this also?I mean,you have a name,that may lead people to an interpretation "Burning Bush In The Swiss Alps" etc.

I thnk your right 'goodygumdrops' There is definatley an emotional attachment here and Im certain that this is what has made this my fav scape. I did see other entrants had included hardscape pics before planting though not sure if adding inspirational landscape pics would have been allowed. Perhaps this is a better scape for seeing it from start to finish and understanding the whole concept? perhaps its just very average amongst the stunning works of art it was up against, whatever - the pleasure was all mine

To be honest planter, I didn't register the white streak on the rock until the judges commented on it. Now it pops out at me! :? In any case, its really superb rock work, very 3 dimensional and an inspiration to us all. Did you just soak and scrub the rocks before use? You are right, competition was fierce, but I personally prefer your scape to some others that did better ;)

Ray said:
To be honest planter, I didn't register the white streak on the rock until the judges commented on it. Now it pops out at me! :? In any case, its really superb rock work, very 3 dimensional and an inspiration to us all. Did you just soak and scrub the rocks before use?

Yeah I guess that is why THEY are the judges , Because they have the expierience and the eye to notice that sort of thing. I was always aware that it appeared slightly different to the other rocks but was comforted by the fact I Personally picked it up along with the other rocks from the same location, For me it added some interest but on reflection I agree with the judges it is a distraction from the rest of the scape. The rocks sat out inthe Garden for a long time before the tank happened and had been out in the rain So I simply threw them in (quite literally) this scape just 'happened' the inspiration was there for a long time but when I finally came to scape, it was done in 20 mins!

Back