• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maintaining filter media

Majsa

So I decided to do some major maintenance on my 175L, like cleaning hoses, the filter, the circulation pump etc...After the hard work, the filter wouldn't go on properly, and when troubleshooting I managed to break the hose adapter of the Eheim 350T. Not sure whether there are several issues now, but the bottom line is, that the filter is now useless as it is and I don't have a spare one :arghh: The LFS advised to contact Eheim service, and to be prepared of a repair time of 3-4 weeks.

I have now Koralia 900, Eheim skimmer and a small sponge filter running, so I guess with loads of plants, no CO2 (I have an in-line diffuser), a reduced photoperiod and a few more WC's the tank will be fine for some time, right? But how do I maintain the filter media? I thought of keeping the baskets in the filter but with almost no water (wet but with enough exposure to oxygen), but is it enough and if so, for how long? Do I need to rinse the baskets once in a while, or maybe keep some of the media inside the tank?

I haven't decided on buying a spare filter yet, waiting for the response from Eheim first.

That would be it. I can order it here, but I’m not sure if it’s the only problem...I had trouble getting the filter running in the first place. I was thinking I could maybe get a whole new pump head to be sure (I am just out of guarantee of course) and keep the old one for spare parts. The people of your link have it but I don’t see any options for international shipping. Hope the Eheim service responds soon and can help me...

The adapters are sold everywhere online so should be able to get pretty quickly.

Was going to use Eheim spare parts previously but heard a lot of bad reviews so stayed clear. Apparently they trade under numerous different names with equally bad reviews.

I think media in a bucket with an air stone may be your best bet or somewhere in your tank if you have the space.

cheers

Conor

That would be it. I can order it here, but I’m not sure if it’s the only problem...I had trouble getting the filter running in the first place. I was thinking I could maybe get a whole new pump head to be sure (I am just out of guarantee of course) and keep the old one for spare parts. The people of your link have it but I don’t see any options for international shipping. Hope the Eheim service responds soon and can help me...
Whoops! Didn’t notice you’re in the Netherlands.

Thanks all. The service responded and advised too to try with a new adapter first, so I ordered one. Hope it will be here within a couple of days and all will be sorted by the weekend, fingers crossed...I had to screw the pump head open to get the adapter out, the red knob was stuck and I had to put some effort to get it out without breaking it, I hope putting it back will be easier.

I placed the baskets in a bucket this morning, I hope it wasn't too late. Both of my air pumps are in use but I have a tiny 100l/h filter left so I have that running in the bucket. The blue sponge went into the shrimp tank, the shrimps are on it already :)

So the adapter got delivered today already and the filter is up and running again! What a relief. Apparently the adapter was broken already and restricting/stopping the flow before it snapped altogether.

Now hoping the filter bacteria are still OK.

Was going to use Eheim spare parts previously but heard a lot of bad reviews so stayed clear. Apparently they trade under numerous different names with equally bad reviews.

I've used them three times for bits for various eheims. I've never had any trouble. When I cracked the head of an Eheim Pro 2 I called them and he took the time to try and locate a part for me, which was only available as a whole head.

I think their main site is fishpetsreptiles, or something like that. But they have the same format wesbite for aquaone parts, eheim parts etc. I'd use them again.

I've used them three times for bits for various eheims. I've never had any trouble. When I cracked the head of an Eheim Pro 2 I called them and he took the time to try and locate a part for me, which was only available as a whole head.

I think their main site is fishpetsreptiles, or something like that. But they have the same format wesbite for aquaone parts, eheim parts etc. I'd use them again.
That’s good to hear, as their parts list was massive and they were pretty cheap.

Cheers

Conor

Back