• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maintenance: sponge or scraper?

DaveWatkin

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, wasn't sure where to post it.

Why do all the experts seem to use an algae sponge and credit card to clean the glass instead of a sharp scraper? I get better results and less overall disturbance to the tank using my tetra scraper than sponges etc

I think people just use what works for them.

I have a good selection of scrapers, squeegee, magnets etc, but always find I just go back to using a standard dish sponge as it's quick and easy.

Also, the sharp blades can cut into the silicone if not careful, which allows algae to get in and can weaken the seal over time.

Blades can also easily scratch the glass if your not careful, and an even higher risk if the tank is acrylic. I like to use a magic eraser and a plastic blade window scraper. Better than a credit card and won’t scratch the glass! They are usually used to remove decals from car windows and the body.

Be careful with sponges 'if' you have snails, if a snail gets behind your sponge it will scratch the glass, I use sharp scraper and sponge/scubbie, scratches in glass are like scuffs on alloy wheels IMO inevitable 😰

Be careful with sponges 'if' you have snails, if a snail gets behind your sponge it will scratch the glass, I use sharp scraper and sponge/scubbie, scratches in glass are like scuffs on alloy wheels IMO inevitable 😰

Not just snails. It's easy to catch a grain of sand in the sponge as well.

I think anything with an edge rather than pad is less likely to catch something that will scratch. I depends what type of algae your particular tank gets on the glass though - soft and a sponge is fine, tougher stuff and a something blade like is easier.

I like a credit card - free and works well.

Back