• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Making steel inlet/outlet baby shrimp safe

Paulthewitt

Hi all

I have a stainless steel outlet/inlet lily pipe for my tank i'm setting up with a Oase 600 attached.
I am looking to make the outlet/inlet (whichever it is that sucks the water to the filter) as safe as possible for cherry shrimp and the babies. I know the babies get everywhere, but if I can limit it, great!

So how do I do this and any suggested products.
What do you all do?

I have had a search on here and online elsewhere, but can only realy find satisfactory answers to the skimmer part so far - hance my question. of course I could have missed a perfect thread, in which case please feel free to link to it.

many thanks

Paul

I should add - I have seen the stainless mesh guards - but these seem to be for plastic pipes and I'm not sure how they would fit over the lip at the bottom of the steel inlet/outlet.

Stainless mesh shrimp guard, you'll find it in every price range although the fleabay ones are perfectly fine :thumbup: Works a treat, just check that the inlet doesn't clog every now and then.

I just bought a couple of cheap ones from eBay several years ago. I do have plastic pipe but the ones I have have rubber inserts between the metal and where the plastic pipe fits. These little rubber bits can easily be manipulated to fit snuggly.

@Paulthewitt I had this exact problem recently. I bought some custom made stainless steel mesh guards from another UKAPS user that slip into the inside and look inconspicuous. They look and work great, however if you've got a skimmer one you'll more than likely find your skimmer part sinks and stops working due to lack of draw power. I eventually took it out and used it elsewhere.

If you don't need the skimmer part, you can do what I did on one of my stainless steel pipes - I took out the plastic skimmer out and stuffed the hole with a filter sponge so you can't see it. You could then put the mesh on the inside behind the grill.

I used this:

And this:

Back