• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Making sure Plec gets food

Tomp91

I try feed him algae wafers but they get savaged by guppies before he gets a look in, even if the guppies are already bloated.

Poor guy tries to chase them off but doesn't get far.

Any ideas?

Use a pipe, place food in pipe and let it sink in pipe down to substrate ideally in front of the plec - this generally works OK

I'll give that a go, I still think they'll have it off him as soon as they realise its there.

Which plec is it? Quite a lot have specific diets, so algae wafers might not work. If it was hungry enough, they tend to just barge the small fish off.

The other alternative if it is a herbivore is to either tuck the food slightly under some decor like wood, or feed just after the lights go out.

Par boiled broccoli - I feed it to everything. Wonderful food.
Guppies are less active when it's dark, and I think that might be worth a shout, although not tried it.

Hi all,
I'll look that up!
Par boiled broccoli - I feed it to everything. Wonderful food. Guppies are less active when it's dark, and I think that might be worth a shout, although not tried it.
@Simon Cole 's suggestion for food and timing. Courgette/cucumber is popular, other than that blanched green beans, sweet potato, cucumber, green pepper etc.

You can use a stainless steel tea spoon to keep it at the bottom, just poke the handle through the veg.

The <"PlanetCatfish plecos forum"> is pretty useful.

cheers Darrel

Feed the plec at night when the lights are out and the guppies are sleepy 😉

Hi @Tomp91

Please confirm what type of Plec you have. Some graze on bogwood, for example. But, it's the biofilm and bacteria growing on surfaces which is often what they're after. I also find that Catappa leaves decompose quite quickly in my tanks. And stuff that is decomposing is doing so because bacteria are busily at work. I have Bristlenose Plecs and they graze on Catappa leaves. You will also see Plecs at work on the tank glass panels where they clean away the thin biofilm that has developed on the surface. Along with blanched vegetables, you should soon have happy Plecs.

JPC

Which plec is it?

I would like to know! I'll post a photo but I have a terrible camera.

Feed the plec at night when the lights are out and the guppies are sleepy 😉

I'll give that a go too although he's very active in the day usually.

Hi @Tomp91

Please confirm what type of Plec you have. Some graze on bogwood, for example. But, it's the biofilm and bacteria growing on surfaces which is often what they're after. I also find that Catappa leaves decompose quite quickly in my tanks. And stuff that is decomposing is doing so because bacteria are busily at work. I have Bristlenose Plecs and they graze on Catappa leaves. You will also see Plecs at work on the tank glass panels where they clean away the thin biofilm that has developed on the surface. Along with blanched vegetables, you should soon have happy Plecs.

JPC

He's basically goes between the bog wood and glass.

He will chase guppies off the wafers but they will just harass him straight away. He's quite small.

Going to try get a good photo!

I have a terrible camera.

I am going to post my result for a laugh, not expecting identification. I'll have to wait till he comes out.

IMG_20200707_122409520 (3).jpg

It does show his fins are never flared like when I see other peoples though. Is he sad?

That's a good website! I think its Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus the picture of a young male could be the mine!

Back