• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Making trace mix for hard water

Paul Willi

Hi,
I’ve been using APF chelated trace elements and live in a hard water area, I have read that it’s better to use fe dtpa with hard water. Can I mix my the APF trace and my new FE DTPA together when I make up my next bottle of micro fert. If I can what should I put in? I have been using a 500ml bottle and adding 2 tsp trace.
thanks
Paul

I had similar issues with iron and hard water. I bought bottle of TNC Iron AT with is DTPA chelated. As I use an auto-doser I just added the TNC Iron to my APFUK micro mix container and then just increased the bi-daily micro dose to add the additional required DPTA iron.

I use both DTPA and EDDHA FE in my micro mix as EDTA is unavailable because my PH does not drop below PH7. The DTPA also becomes unavailable in my tank the next day as it gets broken down by light during the photo-period and my PH goes above 7.5 when degassed. So the EDDHA helps a lot by keeping FE avaiable on days micros are not dosed - only downside is the tank appears slightly pink. It isn't that noticeable when viewing from the front, but more noticeable wheb viewing through the side.

Sorry to hijack your thread @Paul Willi but i also have hard water and am using the APFUK starter kit that has the chelated trace elements which contains Fe 8.2% (EDTA Chelated) . Should i be using another source of Fe @Zeus. ?

Sorry to hijack your thread @Paul Willi but i also have hard water and am using the APFUK starter kit that has the chelated trace elements which contains Fe 8.2% (EDTA Chelated) . Should i be using another source of Fe @Zeus. ?

Well what do your plants tell you are they vibrant and healthy? if so NO. If you have hard or very hard water then Fe DTPA or Fe EDDHA might be worth a try, esp if your plants appear Fe deficient. Post your water report (you can get it online from your water supply company)
That will give us more information for free ;)
some more tank info would help too.

Sorry to hijack your thread

But your on topic 🕺💃

125l 6 hours light 2x28t5 no reflectors, gravel with root tabs, 2x ex filters. 3ml easy carbo with lights on, was dosing ferts as per APF for Ei Premixing 500ml, 25ml daily 3/3 but have since doubled as plants dying back. Started seeing new growth since upping. 50% weekly wc plants mainly crypts . the fe Dtpa is 8% chelated

Attachments

• AC883BDE-0E6B-4346-8B1C-64D41ABD4BA6.png
    AC883BDE-0E6B-4346-8B1C-64D41ABD4BA6.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 0ECE7AE1-BAFF-4711-9D79-9DD0CD85E1ED.png
    0ECE7AE1-BAFF-4711-9D79-9DD0CD85E1ED.png
    497 KB · Views: 129
Post your water report
Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Set up about 7 weeks ago

Aquarium: Roma 125 80x35x50
Filter: Betta 2000 external
Lighting: Chihiros A801
Co2: 15kg Cylinder with inline diffuser
Substrate: Tropica soil 18l and Tropica powder 9l
Ferts: EI from APFUK

70% water changes 2 times a week

Tapwater results (used with 6in1 test strip)
GH 8
KH 20
PH 7.4

Plants seemed to be doing fine until about 2 weeks ago. Lots of diatoms which i know is to be expected. Surface film has appeared in the past week. Limnophila Aromatica has some green growth but seems a little bit pale. Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini seems more brown than red/pink. Lights on for 6 hours, co2 on 2 hours before that. Drop checker lime green in all parts of the aquarium.

125l 6 hours light 2x28t5 no reflectors, gravel with root tabs, 2x ex filters. 3ml easy carbo with lights on, was dosing ferts as per APF for Ei Premixing 500ml, 25ml daily 3/3 but have since doubled as plants dying back. Started seeing new growth since upping. 50% weekly wc plants mainly crypts . the fe Dtpa is 8% chelated

you tap water fluctuates quite a bit over the year

1590135960190.png

1590136023001.png

with a average off

1590136137532.png

So it probably doesnt need the Fe DTPA all year round. A breakdown of when they tested would inform when it is needed, they will supply it if you ask

your present dose of APFUK Trace is a little high IMO
1590136217283.png

1590136249062.png

1590136327607.png

I would just add one teaspoon (5g)per 500ml

As for Fe 8% DTPA about 5grams and 5grams of APFUK trace in 500ml , 25ml a dose in 125litre tank- yields
1590136665206.png

1590136743977.png

Keep it in dark place as FeDTPA is very light sensitive, I even have light blocked out of tubing on my auto doser (cool place as well)

also noticed your tap water nitrate fluctuates quite a bit over the year

(the results above are from the preleased V1.9 fert calculator - so check your ppm the normal way)

Tapwater results (used with 6in1 test strip)
GH 8
KH 20
PH 7.4

Like Darrel says water report downloaded much more accurate and free ;) just google it and it goes of your postcode

Sorry i forgot to add the link :banghead:

Link wont work as we dont have your postcode, if you give us a postcode similar to your we can get the report without invading your privacy, just check it links to same report ;)

Link wont work as we dont have your postcode, if you give us a postcode similar to your we can get the report without invading your privacy, just check it links to same report ;)
Oh sorry. Postcode is y35ev91

Think once you enter that in you have to scroll down to "view detailed report"

Oh sorry. Postcode is y35ev91

Think once you enter that in you have to scroll down to "view detailed report"

Well it doesn't give the results in great detail and no mention of Ca and Mg levels :arghh:

Nitrate levels vary slightly 3-1ppm (mg/l) NO3
Floridle levels not bad for your teeth 0.7ppm F. :D

So do yous think myself and Paul should add FE DTPA to our APFUK Chelated Trace Elements mix?

Also @Paul Willi is there any particular reason why you add 2 tsp of the trace elements instead of the 1tsp that they have on their instructions?

Back