• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Malasyan Trumpet Snails

They have no problems digging down in my gravel and its 1/4" to 1.5" diameter pebels and 7" deep in places, they are very able diggers! :D

Mine grow to about 1.25" long

HTH, Cheers, Mick B

Mr Bee said:
Cool, thanks guys 8)
I'll take a few MTS from you LD (if you can find some!) or anyone else if you dont mind :D
Do you want anything (moneywise) for them, or just something to cover postage?
Just let me know how to arrange it....... postage details/SAE/payments etc. ??
Cheers :D
I will see over the weekend during the water change how many I can dig up, I will let you know.
I don't want anything for them not even postage, you can however, after receiving them make a donation to UKAPS.

LondonDragon said:
I will see over the weekend during the water change how many I can dig up, I will let you know.
I don't want anything for them not even postage, you can however, after receiving them make a donation to UKAPS.

Excellent!!

Thanks LD, I'll donate a few quid to the forum :D

Will wait to hear from you over the weekend if you dig some up 8)

aaronnorth said:
I ordered some of of 5teady (£2.50 for 10) - i will remember in the future though to ask you lol
Usually if you post a wanted for some then someone will oblige. Some people even consider them a pest! ;)

Mr Bee said:
Excellent!!
Thanks LD, I'll donate a few quid to the forum :D
Will wait to hear from you over the weekend if you dig some up 8)
Haven't gone fishing yet, haven't forgotten either, I have seen a few in the tank, but not many I will try and fish them out.

No problem mate, I'll keep an eye on this post :D

thebullit said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=180276844042

here is a link with some for sale.
Sale! Hardly necessary unless you want specific ones such as mahogany (see the snail shop). Most people give them away in return for postage costs, or on this board a donation to ukaps!

I have some mahogany ones too, as soon as they've increased their population they'll end up being included in the snail packets I send out. I've also got some Spike Tails which will also be available once they've increased in numbers.

I'm just hoping they don't all interbreed as I've got them all in one tank! :lol:

Does anyone on here feel the need to use the 'snailstrong' liquid calcium stuff (as seen on snailshop) for MTS, or add anything extra or specific in the way of food/supplements??

Or is just a case of put them in and leave them to get on with it, and feed rest of aquarium inhabitants as normal??

you dont need to add the snail strong liquid as long as you can maintain a ph above 7 for shell growth, as below will cause shell erosion (sp). and feed caclium foods like green veg. which will help good shell growth.

It depends a lot on your water. I have very hard water so my pH is high as is my KH. This means there's plenty of calcium in the water column already. If you notice the shells starting to pale and erode or the MTS losing their tips then you either need to feed them food with high calcium content such as green beans, spinach, darker green leaf lettuce, and shelled peas or use an additive such as snail strong liquid calcium.

Mine eat whatever they can get their mouths on, I usually add an extra algae wafer for them at feeding time but I have apple snails and nerites too.

Cheers, I doubt I'll need it then. My pH is consistantly betwen 7 - 8, and going by colour, nearer to 8 than 7, so probably more like 7.5 - 8

I am also in a quite hard water area, and my test kit measures KH and GH to be 180ppm

Is KH calcium hardness btw??

Egmel said:
Mr Bee said:
Is KH calcium hardness btw??
Carbonate Hardness, so calcium and magnesium etc.

KH, or Carbonate hardness, is not the metallic element of the salt but the basic part. As such it is a measure of the carbonate section of salts such as Calcium Carbonate, not the calcium. GH, or general hardness, is Calcium and Magnesium cations in the water.

It's assumed when measuring KH in industrial or domestic situations that KH is only represented by Calcium Carbonate so it is a measure of Calcium, but other things can effect that especially in a tank. (Especially if you fertilise with Potassium Carbonate or Brighty K!)

Back