• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Male gupy bullying other male

ibra1451998

Seedling
Yesterday i added 2 males and 1 female guppies to my tank. I've been told by the seller that this combination would not cause any problem.
However one guppy male is constantly following the second male after a day, who now remains hidden at all times.
The one in the top right is the victim. Any advice on how to resolve this? or should I leave as it is?
InkedIMG_2139[1732]_LI.jpg

Do you have pics of all three? The one hanging out in the corner looks like a female as the dark spot is a female gravid spot unless my eyes are mistaken.

It is normally advised as wookii mentions to have more males than females. This is to stop the males harassing the poor females, as they are sex mad, plus it dilutes male aggression towards each other. A 2 f to 1 m is about the lowest you see advised with anything upto 5-6 f per 1 m easier on the fish.

I was a bit horrified when I went in our local Pets At Home recently to buy my son some male Endlers for his tank, and they had a tank full of males with about 3 females in there. You can imagine the carnage! It didn't help when we spoke to the staff member who advised he was unable to differentiate between males and females.

Last edited:
Both the Guppies in the pic look like females. If the third one is a male you're seeing sexual harassment rather than plain bullying. If your tank is big enough, you could get some more females so that each one only get a small part of the male's attention.

Have also found with a small number of Gups in the tank that one male will chase another male to the point of exhaustion, but do not know if this is bullying or just over playful ?
With females in the tank, the former could be more likely.

For that reason, have only had male Gups and find if you have 4 or more then this behaviour is reduced, though sometimes the bullying one just gets into that mindset and will never stop.

Lol, I only saw two fish the first time I looked. :)
Three in the pic, all look like females. :)

To further complicate matters - and while a photo is just a single captured moment (except it’s really just a fraction of that) - those two female guppies resting together near the top of the tank, makes me question how active they are (that angled surface pose is “classic” for unwell female guppies)

And I’m also curious what shop sold these as male guppies!

@ibra1451998 your plants look brilliant

To further complicate matters - and while a photo is just a single captured moment (except it’s really just a fraction of that) - those two female guppies resting together near the top of the tank, makes me question how active they are (that angled surface pose is “classic” for unwell female guppies)

And I’m also curious what shop sold these as male guppies!

@ibra1451998 your plants look brillia
Maybe I'm a sceptic, but since males sell for twice the price of females....

Hopefully they were snapped mid fed, but they do appear to be females, I'd personally go 4 to 1,as the males certainly will not stop with the harassment, male on male hormone driven attention seems to result in less detrimental results, besides maybe a nipped fin

Back