• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Male Nerite Snails

JPT81

Hey all,

Really sorry if this is stupid question, but does anyone know of a place in the UK that sells separated male and female Nerite snails?
I know it’s difficult to separate them but I’d really like to get hold of a male Nerite snail.
I’d like to avoid having a female as I don’t want loads of eggs around my tank.

Thanks in advance - J :)

I don't think you will have much luck, snails are extremely difficult to sex, I don't think many aquatics retailers would even know how.

I don't think you will have much luck, snails are extremely difficult to sex, I don't think many aquatics retailers would even know how.
Thanks Nick, I thought as much.
I guess I’ll just have to hope for the best! :)

You could buy a few and keep them separate, any that lay eggs would be female, but it would be a long tedious job
I was thinking the same thing.
I’m very impatient so I dunno how long I’d last doing this! 😂

Does anyone know how to remove the white nerite snail eggs off of wood? Small wire brush method isn't working so well.

I've had a pretty good success rate with Clithon corona,generally males are a lot smaller than females
I have these and I'm kind of plus/minus on them: Zebra thorn snail | Fireplace aquarium. I wouldn't know about differences between males and females, but they do lay eggs, reasonably prolifically. I'm not going to get rid of them, but I don't know that I'd go for these guys again. The eggs can be scraped off, but not easily, after which the fish eat them eagerly. There's an ecological niche waiting to be filled with something that can eat the eggs whilst they are still attached to plants/hardscape/glass etc. Anyone know of such a thing? The amano shrimp are completely uninterested in them.

Back